1985 3.6 5-speed for sale

If I was looking for a place to dump a lot of money and have fun, I’d consider this. Appears to be a grey-market import into the USA.

I hope someone snaps it up and does something good with it

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/jaguar/xjs/2414649.html

Cheers
DD

Dumb question: is it worth $6700?

1 Like

I have a 1984 3.6/5 speed XJ-SC. Good car, good fun. More in the spirit of the XKs and Es than a V12/autobox.

Dump a lot of money? Not really. No more than any XJ-S (and probably less). In 11 years and 60,000 miles it has been reasonably reliable. Some brakes, motor mounts, shocks, clutch and seals. Stuff you would put in any older car.

Price on this one doesn’t seem too bad. And it is ASKING price. One can usually buy for less than asking price.

1 Like

Imponderable.

Whether I paid $6700 or $3350 to purchase the car isn’t a deal breaker. For me, it isn’t so much the buy-in price but, rather, the “what will I end up spending?” price

I’d buy this car and spend $15-20k on it just because I like it, wanna save it, and am having fun. I’m trying to break myself of that habit :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Yeah, but that the inexpensive stuff!

It’s the umpteen thousands for paint, rust repair, leather, chrome, wood that hurts!

Cheers
DD

Become a bus driver. It helps…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

That’s where I’ve cheated. Had the minor rust fixed and the paint spotted it. Chrome steel wooled and waxed. May get around to refinishing my parts car wood and swapping it out, someday, maybe. Seats- surplus leather from Cessna Aircraft Co and a local upholstery shop. Not a perfect car, but an acceptable 10 footer. It runs and drives. Might have $10K total in it after all these years.

If this car is a rust bucket, then it’s a parts car. I believe we can all agree on that!

2 Likes

Yup ! It may or may not be. I dunno. Being in Illinois one has to be suspicious.

Maybe someone here knows the car? It would very helpful to me personally to know that the car IS indeed a rust bucket, as such knowledge would remove all temptation.

Cheers
DD

If it’s rusty, someone might by it to do a 5 speed conversion on a V12.
The Simply Performance kit costs about the same as this whole car.
Then you’d need the flywheel, and engine-gearbox adapter.

Rob