1985 instrument cluster in a 1983?

There is a nice 1985 jaguar xjs instrument cluster for sale on ebay. It is Canadian, so a metric speedo. I have my US spec cluster but the plastic circuit board has a few broken lines in it.

Will the 85 fit my 83 xjs? It looks the same and the plugins are in the same spots but I need to make sure that the connectors match the funtions of my 83. I don’t imagine I should have any problem swapping out the speedo and still have it correct if the rear gear is the same. Getting new gears with different teeth doesn’t seem to be a problem. All it says is that it is out of an 85 jag xjs.

Thanks

Russ

As long as it’s a mechanical speedo drive they are interchangeable.

Mine has an electric motor drive on the speedo, getting the signal from the transmission. But otherwise yes, it is not a digital speedo. If that is the difference you are talking about.

Hi Russ, I think Norman’s “mechanical speedo drive” means that the speedo is driven through a cable , rather than electrically, using a signal generator mounted on the transmission.

Thanks, I kind of thought that but I wanted to be clear anyway. The cluster went to someone else for over $172.00 so, will keep looking. Unless, you or someone else knows if there is a replacement plastic circuit board for these clusters.