1986 V12 S3 oil pressure sender keeps blowing

Jeeze,

Either you’re a mechanic, or you go on vacation - you can’t have both!

I’m really curious to find out what is blowing sensors mechanically.

Nit picking post. Apologies, I could not resist, my word play addiction.

Not the guage that “blows”, but the snesnors…

Either or, I get it.

Carl

1 Like

Carl,

Attached is a “before” picture as I was disassembling things in the engine bay of my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible showing the original OEM oil pressure transmitter (C46272) circled in red. It’s the same transmitter for the 4.2L DOHC I6 and the 5.3L V12. The oil pressure transmitter in this car was leaking oil at the top where the blade connector was located and there was a large oily mess around and beneath the transmitter that dripped downward and rearward over the transmission and all the way onto the bottom of the car. After I cleaned that mess up I replaced the oil transmitter with one that I pulled from the spare 5.3L V12 that I obtained several years ago for two cases of beer. :wink: I have been removing parts from that engine, my two XJ6 parts cars, and the several spare I6 XK engines that I have over the years to keep my other Jaguars running and looking their best. In this case I knew that it didn’t look like the OEM oil pressure transmitter, but with all the problems I was reading about the new aftermarket units failing I decided to try to use this one and see if it worked properly, and it did with good reliable oil pressure readings and no leaks (yet?). Supposedly this HE V12 engine ran great when it was removed from an XJ-S for transplant into an E-Type for a project that ultimately never got done. Now I have the V12 available should I ever need one to replace an engine in one of our two V12 Jaguars. Sweet!

Yes, I thought a crow’s foot would work, but maybe not. It’s a tough place to access without any disassembly. I understand things taking longer to disassemble and things breaking when you do that. But, in my case I did want to remove pretty much everything to clean things up, adjust the intake and exhaust valves, replace the cam cover gaskets, and clean/polish/repair/replace everything that I came across.

Here’s how it looked when I got finished.

It looks beautiful and runs as good as it looks (easily passed CA smog right after this work) and also runs much cooler with the new OEM radiator.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak
1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

Paul:

What a deal. A few beers for a V12 in good shape. Was it “ordinary” beer or craft beer?

A great tutorial for other s with v12’s under the bonnets.

Nice work, nice result. As good as it gets.

Carl

Carl,

It was two cases of cold Guinness that went to the shop owner, some of which were consumed as we made the deal.   Another XJ list member, Lou Galper, was the one who found the engine at a small import car shop in the San Diego area and called me about it.   I had another Jaguar friend with a pickup truck, and it all made for a fun outing.  I think there were three cases of beer involved when the dust settled, two cases for the shop owner, two six packs for Lou, and two six packs for our friend with the truck.   All in all a great memory.   I have used several parts from that engine already on my other V12 Jaguars  including EFI sensors, an idler pulley, and an Auxiliary Air Valve to name a few.   

I wonder if Lou wants to add anything to the story.  

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

The thing is made by humans, Andrew - and Murphy’s law also applies…:slight_smile:

While wear and tear may takes it’s toll, as will maltreatment and manufacturing quality control - at some stage pressure alone will likely cause irrepairable damage to anty hydraulic system. The stall pressure of the oil pump is likely fairly high, particularly with cold oil of high viscosity - and I’m not sure that the transmitters are meant to take it…?

Safeguards are usually in place to protect the engine and components from excessive oil pressure, which will also protect the transmitter itself…

Like you, I would early love to know the insides of a transmitter; but I never had a ‘blown’ one - and I suspect only destructive dismantling is possible. And of interest is also if Mike’s problem relates to the transmitters themselves - or has a deeper cause…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I suspect the problem is less that they are made by humans and more that the senders are made of a special alloy of Beer can, cat hair, and monkey snot. Mazak seems like Titanium in comparison.

Pau:

Class for class. Fits!!!

Nit pick. The one that works looks grungy in that nice clean environment.

Frank.

Indeed, I wonder what is in those sender aka transmitter cans.
I might have a dud around. Now, to conjure a method of opening the can and not destroy it’s innards.

Carl

Let me state my case.
I am now on my 16th Jaguar and although I love what Jaguar has done under TATA. I hold the same prassion on the Marque that
I did when I was a 14 year old in Nairobi as a young wanabe.
At that moment my focus was to own a Jaguar EType.
I ACHIEVED IT
Jaguar is a passion.
You either have it or you miss out on something very very special.

1 Like

With a defective transmitter, Carl - destructive dismantling is fair enough, but may not reveal the fault…:slight_smile:

With an electric read-out, variable resistance can be done with a piezo-electric device - but the largish head indicates something else. But anything may leak anyway…

frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank;

More likely than not true. My idea was to see 'how they work" if possible.

Just my innate curiosity.

Carl