1986 xj6 ignition lock cylinder w/keys

I am trying to find a cross reference the above topic. Seems the manufacturer discontinued making it. Does anyone know if there are other years and or models that I could use on my car? Or maybe just the ignition lock barrel?
Any help is much appreciated…
Thank you👍

Hi

Not sure where you are located but here in the 'States we often rely on David at Everyday XJ for good used parts. He’s a good guy.

Cheers
DD

Lusha,

you’re referring to the “manufacturer” - just who do you mean? Jaguar is known to care less about classic car customers than, say, Porsche or Daimler. “Original” Lucas has been out of business for quite some time.

But, fortunately, there is a lively scene specializing on classic British iron. Usually, it is easiest to start with the original parts catalogue at https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/catalogue/xj6-ser-3-aug-1985-onwards/steering/#p=2. You’re searching fo part # DAC 1607, which is the switch behind the lock - as long as the lock is still operative. One of the usual suspects in this part of the world lists DAC 1607 as Ignition Switch 157SA and sells it obviously new from Jaguar on special order and after market on back log.

If the innards of your lock barrel are broken, it seems that supplies are finite. Yet, either you can find yourself a used item or try to fix it. Locksmiths should be able to do this for you.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Do you have an ignition key that works, Lusha…?

The single edged ignition key should be readily available - just take it to a locksmith. The double edged door keys are a bit more elusive…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

It took awhile, but I finally found a local (50 miles away) locksmith that had blanks for the double-sided keys. Ilco BL6.

Dave

The double sided key is for the doors, Dave - and in two versions; ‘owners’ and ‘valet’. The latter not opening the boot and glove compartment.

A sometimes error is to yous the single sided ign key on the doors - which ruins the lock(s)…:slight_smile:

Frank

Thanks Frank, I had heard about multiple keys when I bought this car, all that came with it was the ignition key. David at Everyday XJ sent me a full set of locks (minus the ignition) with a double sided key. That must be an owners key because it fits everything except ignition.

Dave

Did you actually change the lock cylinders, Dave- or intend to?

Frank

Thank you for everyone’s support. Maybe I’m not explaining my situation. So I will. I bought a 1986 xj6 and it seems that the keys are not original. The key to the door locks are fine and work but the key to the ignition didnt always turn. And now it doesn’t turn the car over. I ran a wire from the relay with a push button to start it for now. I really don’t know if it’s the problem with the key or the ignitionintion switch. But I have tried to get the whole ignition lock cylinder with a key and I can’t find one for my year. So I was wondering if the tumbler with a key from any xj6 would work. Forgive me if I sound ignorant, because I am and have no real knowledge about these cars. I think I’m in over my head… Lol

Yes, changed them all. David sent the door cylinders, boot, glove box, and both gas caps. The chrome was good on the gas caps, so I transferred my new gaskets over and used the new caps. The key and spares work in everything and life is good.

Dave

I’ll take a stab at it Lusha. Your explanation seems clear. If the ignition key you have used to turn the cylinder, but not smoothly, did the starter spin the engine? If now the key will still turn the cylinder with some fiddling, but the starter won’t engage and spin the engine I’m going to vote for the ignition cylinder (switch). There are loosely two components to the ignition switch: 1) the half dozen tiny pins inside the cylinder that have to line up perfectly to allow the key/inner cylinder turn, the hills and valleys on the key do this; 2) when the cylinder turns, it allows the electrical contacts in the back of the ignition housing (the part that usually stays in the car) to make contact and send 12vdc to various other switches and relays in the car. If the starter motor won’t spin the engine now but it used to, the contacts in the switch could very well be corroded or just worn out. New switch. If the key won’t or has trouble turning the cylinder, look at the key very closely and see if the “hills and valleys” look very rounded or if the key is showing lots of brass and signs of wear. Compare it to another new or slightly used key that is sharp and defined, can be any key. If your key looks rounded and has lost the sharpness of a newer key, time for new key and switch.

I would think the the cylinder out of any S3 would fit in the switch housing, just make sure you have a working key with the new cylinder. David at Everyday XJ (has a web site) would be your best bet for a used but good condition cylinder/key.

Dave

Originally, Dave, the glove box and boot was different - only opened with the ‘owner’s’ key. Hence the
two different keys - though identical locks and one key is of course perfectly OK…

As for the ignition key; a PO may have forced it to ruin, but any ‘Series’ lock cylinder would work as a replacement - provided the key and cylinder is a match. If the ign key turns, but the starter does not engage; the problem may be electrical - but not necessarily in the ign switch. However, if the ign key won’t turn; it’s likely a lock cylinder problem…

Frank

1 Like