1987 SIII OEM radio code issue

I’m a long-time member of Jag-Lovers. After many years without an XJ6, I recently acquired a 1987 SIII. Beautiful one-owner car. I have a couple of minor issues that need to be resolved. The most annoying is that the radio requires the security code to be input each time the car is started. It then plays normally. I’m assuming there is a positive feed that keeps the memory charged. I’ve looked at the wiring diagram, but do not see a secondary circuit feeding the radio. Has anyone run across this problem before or have any suggestions or guidance they can offer before I start pulling the dash apart to look for I don’t know what? Many thanks!

Regards,
Tom Golodik
Northern NJ

List item

Tom - you are indeed correct that there is a non-switched 12V feed to the radio, and without it, the security code will be needed.

I pulled out the trusty S-57 wiring guide, and found the following: There is a brown wire from the battery feed which has a 20A in-line fuse. Based on the diagrams, and my fuzzy recollection, that fuse can be found by removing the panel in the right footwell that has the floor vent in it. This line continues to the 30/51 terminal on the radio relay.

The same terminal should have a red wire with a 2A in-line fuse, which continues to the radio. The relay and 2A fuse I believe are under the ski slope - check the archives and other documentation to verify.

The red wire continues to the 6-pin connector on the rear of the radio.

I would probably start by pulling the radio and checking the red wire for power. If you have it, then it’s an internal radio fault. If nothing, you can trace back through the fuses and relay.

1 Like

Chuck: Thanks for your guidance on the radio code issue. Wound up with suddenly expanded grandparent duties this week and haven’t had a chance to play with the car once. Hoping I’m relieved of duties tomorrow and can investigate based on your info. Thanks again!

Regards,
Tom

Open the ski slope. Swap in a fuse to the red wire. I suspect it will work. Those plastic in line fuse holders are fussy. The fuses as well. They may look good but be open inside!! VOM or test light to check or just a presumptive replacement.

If still no. feed 12 v to the end going to the radio. Works now? Find a always on source of voltage. Brown wire. Still no. Oh oh, internal radio issue.

Good ones at decent price but used abound…

Or go major update. Bleu tooth, GPs and all the toys !!!

Carl