1987 versus 1988 price value

Had a tree problem, breached sun roof one side, damaged passenger door. Insurance company has used 1988 to value my 1987 XJ6. Totaled vehicle, I am retaining. I will not give up on my jag. Any suggestions.

Welcome Andrea, I suppose it depends a lot on what you are asking for? With regards to the value there wouldn’t be much difference between an ‘87 and ’88 I take it we are talking about the XJ40 rather than a S111 with V12?
Also your location will have a bearing as this is a worldwide forum it’s handy to know where you are domiciled.

Thank you Robin,
All I know is it is an XJ6 4.2 ? I am in Northern California. An old woman, don’t want to be taken advantage of again! Agent took comparison with an 88!? The sun roof was compromised , glass not broken, rear passenger door damaged a bit. Everything is very fixable.

If it has a 4.2 the its a S111 XJ6 which should be a different animal from the ‘88 I would have thought;
https://www.google.com/search?q=1988+jaguar&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS719US719&oq=1988+jaguar&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3j0l2.6163j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=q9HHSp5_PUrOrM:
1987;
https://www.google.com/search?q=1987+jaguar+xj6&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS719US719&oq=1987jaguar&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.5921j1j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=biynRpwbyYKd8M:

Perhaps show this to the insurance agent?

Bless your heart. Thank you.

No problems, keep us informed how you get on.

Andrea, for what it’s worth, here are the pages from the NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) website for the values they give for a 1987 and 1988 XJ6 in my zipcode. They are close in value. I suggest you get the insurance company to look these up for your zipcode to show you the results. The website is here: https://www.nadaguides.com/

Good luck

David
87 XJ6 values.pdf (416.8 KB)
1988 Xj6 value.pdf (416.1 KB)

Andrea:

I retired after a fifty year career in insurance claims. In most lines and at most levels. Auto my least preferable.

But, you have good advice from Robin. Convincing data.

The elements in establishing the value of the loss are not complicated.

1. What was the fair market value of the car at the instant of the accident.
    2 What is the cost to repair that damage.
  2. What is the value of the car as damaged.

So, does the value of 2 exceed the value of 1?

If close then. How does salvage value effect the equation?

Your loss is covered under the comprehensive part of the policy. After establishing the whole loss, deductible is applied. that is the amount you get. .

And, absolutely, you have the option of keeping the car. Literaly buying it back for the established salvage value.

Caveat. make sure that if you elect to keep it and fix it that the cost to fix is FIXED!!! Poor pun, I know, but clear.

And, aye, the 88 is a different car. newer, but, for reasons, less desireable. The 87 a classic, the 88 not so much. And as a foirst run, issues to resolve. Each has a markeed effect on value.

In CA, they must have a live example of the exemplar car they used to establish Actual Cash Value.

Google Fair Claims Practice Act. Enacted by the legislature. Says a lot as to this type claim

Oh, the rep is either an appraiser, an adjuster or a claims representative. Not an agent., in the jargon of the businesss.

Stand your ground., good luck. And don’t feel shy as to telling him/her of your sources…

Carl. .

1 Like

Thank you all for your information. Found out the collision center basically works for the
insurance companies. I withdrew the claim. Found another body shop that will work
with me! I knew in my recesses of what is left of brain, 85, 86 E.U. & 87U.S. was one
type of series. Sorry to offend anyone, 88 leaves a lot to be desired. My Jag is so Sweet.
When rep compared mine with the 88, knew he was out of his field. So, the ol’ lady will
ride again. Thanks again. Really helped. God Bless you all!

You are most welcome, Andrea. And the most of us can benefit by your blessing!!

Yeah, many shops are insurance company approved. Good and bad points. Another topic for another day, though. I never liked the idea and none of my employers participated. That went for home insurance
as well. Early mentors counseled, "stick to what you know, insurance. Albeit one office just got in deep and insisted that I do the same. Fortunately. Sad in way, we liked the city and our house. But, it worked out. SF!!!

Advice to be accepted or declined:
Collision and comprehensive are not a good buy for older cars. I draw the line at a value of ten grand. Yours is a grand example of what will happen when claim time comes… Huge fuss over value. Not worth it.

Why not take whatever money they offered
and keep the car.

You might consider another insuror, the agent that sold the poicy should have counseled you as to the collision and comprehensive.

Carl