1988 3.6 exhaust manifold

The amp either works or dosen’t

Mark,

Not that I know of - but I figure that through the coil it feeds the same strength of spark to all of the plug leads so if you have a good spark on 1,2,3 & 6 it couldn’t be any less on 4 and 5 if distributor, rotor and plug leads are all good. Have you tried replacing the rotor? Well known to cause a short to ground via the distributor shaft - although how it would do that on only two cylinder positions takes a bit of believing,

how can i upload a video , that would help explain easier. it is mp4 format but can change to AVI ?

Bryan , Tried to change rotor , will not budge , any ideas .

We only support .jpg .jpeg, .png, .gif, and .pdf uploads. Max size is 4096 kB (so it would be a pretty short video, even if we did support them).

You can put the video somewhere else, then post a link to it there.

Andrew , have no idea where to begin to do that , not too good at computer stuff .lol

Hi Mark. You could test the leads first with the plugs attached, then test again without the plugs, that would show up a break in the connection inside the rubber plug cap if there is one.
As far as I know an amplifier fault would affect all cylinders not just 4/5.

The tight rotor arm is puzzling ? they usually just pull off the shaft quite easily. Have you tried twisting it side to side as you pull upwards ?

If you can borrow the cap, rotor and leads to try from Jamesmann that will tell you a lot if the problem still persists.
keep us informed, don’t get downhearted, we’ve all had problems that drive us mad with these cars, but we always manage to resolve them in the end and in my experience the symptoms are usually far worse than the actual fault, the hardest part is always troubleshooting it but you will get there in the end.

yeah , frustrating bloody thing , with all the plug leads off one at a time and a spare plug on the lead they all are the same , colour and intensity . I am trying to upload a couple of vids to youtube that will explain more than i can in words , will post links when i get them .

link for youtube videos of problem, i hope , https://youtu.be/APEoHpQgPJ8 and https://youtu.be/APEoHpQgPJ8

Mark,

So ALL the plug leads ARE firing at the plug with the same (blue?) colour and intensity - so it is not an ignition problem or a fuel injection problem sice you said all were ‘clicking’ OK?
That sounds to me as if you have a couple of burnt exhaust valves in cylinders 4 & 5. Have you done that compression test yet?

Hi Mark, I just had a look/listen at your vid. Definitely at least one cylinder not firing.
How long has the car been misfiring like that ? Did the misfire start after some other work you have carried out, or did you buy the car with that fault already present ?
It’s hard to tell without actually being there, but to me it sounds like a couple of HT leads have been inadvertently swapped over, have you checked the firing order sequence that Bryan posted.?
You mentioned checking all the leads with ’ a spare plug ’ but did you check using the actual spark plugs from cylinders 4/5 ? Sometimes a plug will show a spark when held against the block but won’t fire properly when inserted and under compression.

I’m not quite sure where you have got up to at the moment, but if you now have a nice blue spark at every plug, and the injectors are firing, and you are certain the leads are in the correct positions on the distributor cap, you will have to do a compression test next.
I’m surprised plugs 4/5 looked the same as the others, I’d have expected them to at least have been a lot wetter than the rest if not oilier looking too with the unburnt fuel, especially as you mentioned the tail pipes being very sooty ?

Bryan , all plugs are not firing a nice blue colour but orangey colour . i don’t have anything to test compression . This all came on suddenly. and yes i can hear the injectors with my stethescope. the original failure code came up "fueling Failure 4 " . car was running well before this .

Casso , Have had the car for 18 months , no work carried out on it , has been running fine up until this , the vids aren’t really good , but spark is not blue , it’s more orange. will pull all plugs today and take pic of them in cylinder order .

If a change of plugs does not improve the condition I am with Bryan in that there could be a leak between 4 and 5 cylinders.
I realise you are in Aus but this is what is available here;

Mark, the mass airflow sensor plug is the No.2 on your picture. The 5 pin rectangular one. I agree with the others, a dry then a wet compression test would reveal a lot.

You can rent a compression tester Mark, no need to buy one.

OK guys , here’s where i’m at , have a fellow JL who has kindly offered me the use of his spare parts , thanks Jamesmann , he is dropping them off tomorrow . I am not touching the car for a day or two , in case i’m tempted to torch it , I took the plugs out today , see pics , i also swapped out the ones from 4 & 5 with ones from 2 & 3 , no difference . Also trying to locate a compression gauge . Will report after the weekend .

One other thing that can be tried is to remove the injector rail and fire the injectors onto a piece of card to verify they are all firing a clean spray of fuel.

Robin , I have a spare set of injectors i took off a parts car years ago all cleaned up and ready to go . That was on my weekend to do list . That bloody list is getting long .

Mark,

Mmmmm … 1,2,3 & 6 look sooty (over-rich) and 4&5 look leaner.

This is what I would expect from a good running engine:-

http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.php3?zx=SdADygsIiM8ED8ZK%2FZfkxwTLCQebmc4Jygc41s2j3L1HN6OYvET8PwvO2gpCvAwPi5jc98kfRd3dxDz4QPvS1Qw3CUz81dj998kfQdTHBkW8CxTZ1PdC9kwzx9j5OvxL%2FNbOBvj6REHTo80z0A7%2ByJ3OBMdJBpyezwsREgeXmMkKyFEEmZbGAskLL4ih

Your pics suggest to me that numbers 4&5 are running ‘weak’ - due perhaps to leakage past burnt exhaust valves?

The sooner you prove/disprove that with a compression test the better.