1988 3.6 xj40 mis-firing

Back again , display now tells me fueling failure 4 , is that the coolant temperature sensor or the O2 sensor. O2 sensor being the Lambda ? sensor ? too many sensors and codes i’m bloody confused . Thanks for all the help and patience . Mark

Mark, at the least you need to purchase a Haynes book of lies :slight_smile:
And yes o2 and Lambda same animal, just under your feet on the exhaust pipe.

Hahaha , Have the book of lies , that’s why i ask on here and other sites , lol Mark

1 Like

Full rich could be the temperature sensor 2 pin on thermo housing. If this goes bad it can overfuel the engine, (think old time choke)

Mark - not sure about the 88 but on my car it’s located on top of the big plastic elbow between the throttle and the MAF, maybe the 88 doesn’t have one?

Yeah found it , on the air intake elbow , some call the sensors one thing and others call it something else . gets confusing and frustrating . gotta love our cars , lol

OK , here in South Australia we don’t have a MOT system , now theoretically if were to remove the cat from my exhaust system what would the results be , i’m assuming that once the fault code was cleared and o2 senor taken out of the mix all would be OK , ? .it’s something i’ve been thinking about for awhile. I have another converter and o2 sensor i bought some time ago when flushed with a little extra cash , but am open to any suggestions or criticism about the idea’

I may be wrong about this but I believe the signal from the o2 sensor partially governs the fuel/air ratio (rich-lean) so I don’t think you can dispense with it unless you also pick up an ecu from a non-cat car that doesn’t rely on o2 sensor feedback.

The cat however, I don’t think chucking it out would affect anything except your personal pollution index :cowboy_hat_face:

Years ago I removed all the cats from my ‘92 4.0l and had the opportunity to have the emissions tested, as it stood it would have passed the test ‘if it was required’
Besides the under car cats there are two small cats in the down pipes on the 4.0l not sure if they are there in your 3.6

this pic is of the exhaust on my car number 1 is the front cat . On the part 12 , i assume the rear section is also a cat , bought these years ago when i had my 4.0 , lucky they didn’t fit and also lucky i didn’t sell them…mf4637

Interesting that the 3.6 is a single cat in the down pipe.

yep , got it wrong again , not the same as my cars .mf4636 this is the one on my car . So the two intermediate pipes 12 and 8 are the same , so should be a straight change over .

Wondering if you’ve solved the issue Mark??

Not as yet , weather has been against me and i’ve not been well for the last several days . Hope to get to it soon .

not much to report , kind of leaning towards the ignition side of things , spark seems weak , reddish - orange , not blue -white and number 5 and 4 are’nt doing what they should , Have a fellow jag-lover here where i live going to lend me some parts later in the week to see if we can fix it .

funny how you start off suspecting one thing that leads to another and after much expense and hair pulling , swear words and questioning your cars parentage , you come up with , maybe it’s the headgasket , well guess what ? Checked the radiator return tank and you guessed it bubbles , now to see how much that’s going to cost .https://youtu.be/ulqquITSptA

Air being drawn into the system on the suction side of the water pump??
Just a thought but worth checking before doing the headgasket.