1988 sun visor question

Hi all , iam contemplating changing my 1990 interior into the 1988 i have < like the grey better than doeskin , my one question is that the grey interior has the light up vanity mirror in the visor and the 88 does not , would there be wiring under the roof liner to do the light up mirrors . as i found under the parcel shelf in the rear that there is a plug to mount the third brake light , which the 88 does not have. Thanks Mark.

MarkON,

I have 1989 XJ6 (i.e. base model), with visors that did not have lights. When I was replacing the headliner, I found open connectors for the lit visors between the headliner’s cardboard and the metal roof. I am guessing that the wiring is there on every car. The mirror-and-light visors were Vanden Plas option.

To replace my fabric-covered visors, where the fabric got old and worn, I got a pair of leather visors which have lights too, off a Vanden Plas donor. The visors themselves have the wires than end with a connector that plugs straight into the under-roof wiring.

Watch out for a model-year difference; connector on 88 and 89 are not the same as the later models, but I don’t know when did they change. Connectors look similar, though, it seems to me as just male-female switched.

I just did the same thing. If wire is not there, you can add it from top sun roof control panel from those light feed. Weir thing is, I also took my parts from a 90 I had but scrapped because of rust.

Thanks to Steven and Zigmund for the replies , will see what i find when i get in there.