1988 xj40 rear shock rebuild

Suggestions as to what preferences people have for either the hard rubber versus the hard foam bushings , i always thought they were the hard rubber but have seen the foam ones now , confused as which one to use .
Thanks Mark

I would stay with the OE foam.

I would also use the foam as its a pretty tight fit to get it all sandwiched together and bolted down. There are rubber pads that goes on the ends of spring to keep them from damaging the parts they come in contact with, but there should still be the foam as well.

OK , thanks for the replies , i’m gonna throw it out there , does anyone know what the density rating is for the foam rubber used to make these ? Mark

Why? Just order the items from one of the usuals, they have shaped top and bottom areas.

I agree with Robin. They’re not expensive. I certainly wouldn’t try to make your own. Not worth the hassle or possibility of having to do it again.

Hi Mark
I am looking at doing the same with my 1988 attached is a diagram of the rear shock bushesXJ6 & XJ12 1987 - 1994 5090 DAMPER AND SPRING-REAR (1).pdf (70.1 KB)

I have had the rear shocks apart before and would recommend buying the bushes Regards James

Gents …

Just a word of advice on the rear shock assembly. If you (or the previous owner) converted the rear shocks from hydraulic self-leveling to standard and didn’t change the spring/damper housing (better known as the “top hat”) Number 7 in the diagram then …

39%20PM

… your upper bushings are going to wear out very quickly. The hole in the top of the housing for the self-leveling shocks is much larger than the one in the replacement (standard) shocks. This allows the top of the shock to move around and eat up the bushing.