1988 XJ40 sls removal how to

Hi All. I haven’t been under my car yet to see if it is still fitted with the SLS , if it is still fitted how do i go about disconnecting the hydraulic side of things , i have a complete set of shocks to replace the SLS ( if still there ) photos would be good of where i need to disconnect and block off the line(s) , i’m assuming that the items that need removal are mostly under the bonnet in the engine bay ? The shocks on it at the moment are rather spongy and clunky while driving , i’ve just read that the standard SLS shocks can 'knock" , is this when driving or is it something that occurs in the lines and a knock similar to a plumbing knock , on a much smaller scale of course. Could that knock be bled out . I would rather swap to a conventional shocker set up and get rid of the SLS system all together . Thanks in advance Mark

to the best of my memory the system is self bleeding. The knock only occurred on mine when I had the sls back in 1992. If you look at the valve body which is beside the green HMSO resevoir you will see if a previous owner removed the sls, there should be a pipe removed and a plug screwed in its place. Or you can check to see if the pump on the front of the motor has been removed.

Hi mark …

Swapping out the rear self-leveling hydraulic shocks for standard ones is probably the most common modification done (heck even Jaguar started doing it to eliminate the leak problem that plagued this system).

To do the job properly you’ll need new (non SLS) springs, new shocks, all new bushings, and new metal top plates (commonly referred to as a top hat). If you reuse the old springs the car will sag and the performance of the assembly will suffer. The hole in the top of the old “top hat” is larger than the new one and will allow the top of the shock to bang around.

If you are going to do the work yourself let us know and we can give you quite a bit of hard earned advice and some good tips.

Remember that the hydraulic system that powered your rear shocks also powers your hydraulic brake boost system so you won’t be removing anything under the hood (If i remember correctly you just block off one or two fittings) In the future though if you decide to switch over to a vacuum boost brake system you can then remove a ton of stuff !

Hi , Thanks for replies , good news , no SLS , so out with the old and in with the new , 4 hour job , and all smooth rides now . Mark

Hi, as I live in Spain I was wondering if I can source the standard shocks and springs here if I can find the equivalent part numbers so what do you suggest? I have a garage and its a 1987 Daimler Jaguar with the SLS fitted. Any help would be appreciated.