1989 Sovereign V12 Radio Harness Adaptor

Hi,

Can someone advise if the radio harness in my 1989 Series III V12 Sovereign is the same as the last of the XJ6’s or if it is the same as the 1989 model year XJS? Or indeed if there is a difference?

This is radio model DAC5575 which appears to be the same as a late '80s XJS but wanted to confirm, I’ve noted in the archives that the '92 model is different but nothing about the 87-91 model V12’s.

I am trying to source an adaptor to fit modern radio as I would like to keep it as stock as possible and not modify the wiring harness.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Karl

You should have the AJ8700 radio which was also used on the 1987 Series III XJ6 and 1987-91 XJS…at least for the North American market.

I suspect the harness…at the radio end…is the same for all models using the AJ8700.

If you find a harness adapter please let us know.

Cheers
DD

Thanks Doug - could be that was only in NA, this is a European delivery and the radio seems to be a Clariion, it’s listed on Jaguar XJS: February 2017 as DAC5575 but no OEM part number…

Karl

The car’s wiring for the radio through the years were pretty standard, Karl for ‘series’ cars…

But whether Jaguar requested the radio manufacturer to comply with an existing car connectors - or the car connectors were altered to suit the radio I don’t know. Then there is eventual PO actions - you have to access the present connections for further actions…

Aftermarket radios may or may not have a connector, but loose wires - connector not necessarily configured for Jaguar. One way of doing it is to use the ‘old’ radio’s connector (which fits the car connector?) and connecting the new radio to it.

‘All’ radios need the same things. Apart from antenna cable; power ‘in’ (Jaguar white/pink), antenna control, usually marked ‘ant out’ (Jaguar white/pink) and the loudspeaker wires. Which are not listed in any of my diagrams, but are dedicated for ‘right/left’ and may be 'front/rear - and it is somewhat unlikely that the ‘new’ radio’s wire colours match the Jaguar colour codes.

On later radio models there is likely a stand-by power wire to cater for radio codes; if fitted to the car harness it should be brown - earlier radios did not have this feature…

A wiring diagram for the new radio is required to identify what’s what to mate with the Jaguar wiring - which should require no changes…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank.

Definately the original radio, I even have the original Jaguar card with the code on it.

I haven’t pulled the faceplate off but from what I can see from other photos i will need to drill rivets to pull the radio out to access the connectors, so I was hoping to only have to do the job once :grinning:

I might see if I can get an idea of the connectors from the rear, was also hoping someone might have one lying about they could take a photo of for me…

Karl

For anyone that stumbles across this thread in the future and has the same question!

I have completed the new radio installation, and fitted an ‘ISO’ set of connectors so it’s easy to change out in the future.

What I found in there was in there appeared to be factory, with a minor modification for a cd-stacker but everything looked pretty stock.

There were no moulded connectors, I had expected some according to the XJS manuals, but there were none. It was individual wires and bullet connectors.

The speaker wires were labelled on the old radio, front and rear left and right as expected. It had the whole set of power cables +12V constant, +12V ignition switched, Power Antenna (which had a spade connector rather than a bullet), +12V illumination and a large ground strap bolted to the back of the radio.

I will post back with a full matching colour list of Jaguar - ISO colours, I’m intending to go back in there as I’ve swapped the left/right rear speaker cables and I need to install the DAB antenna as well, so can get some photos.