1989 XJ40 Aux cooling fan

Quick question …

I noticed on an older post that Bryan mentioned that the sensor in the bottom of the radiator is calibrated to turn on the aux cooling fan anytime the temperature reaches 90c.

40%20AM

If I’m reading the wiring diagram correctly it appears that the cooling fan runs off of direct battery power but first it need ignition power to complete the circuit, Once the circuit is complete and the fan is running (thermal switch closed) it will continue to run even if the ignition power is turned off until the thermal switch opens.

Still trying to determine how accurate my digital coolant temp gauge is and I’m using the operation of the cooling fan to establish some sort of base line.

Not sure about your MY but on a hot day, my 94’s fans run for about a minute after I switch off and lock the car.

Yes I agree with Larry but mine runs for 3 minutes after turn off because I put an aftermarket tridon switch 85 on 75 off I believe the original jag one comes on at 95 degrees is that correct?

I believe that’s what I said … “it will continue to run even if the ignition power is turned off until the thermal switch opens.” There is no timer, so the fan once energized simply runs until the coolant temperature drops below 90C or the battery runs down.

My 1965 3.8S has a aftermarket auxiliary fan fitted and it is wired to run after engine shut down. As such is cycles on and off a few times during the heat soak period but has never run the battery down, With the old open to the air carbs and starting carb this is useful to address the build up of gasoline smell until the engine bay cools down.