1989 xj40 climate controls dont work

Hi all, I have a question regarding the climate control, I got lucky when I bouhgt her as there was a spate assembly for the a/c controls when I bought her, installed a/c is running but looking a t the removed unit there is a green and blue tracer which is broken off, any idea where it goes? On the fan speed selector side there is a blue wire with what appears to be a missing wire, could that be it? Also the face temp doesn’t seem to do anything. Thanks guys.

David,

Check those colours again - I cannot find a Green wire with a blue tracer anywhere on the A/C control panel (or for that matter anywhere else in the Climate control circuitry)
The wiring to each pin on the A/C control panel connector (24-way yellow) is as follows:-

1 Black
2 White/red
3 Pink/black
4 Slate/black
5 Red/black
6 White/black
7 Slate/blue
8 Orange/black
9 Yellow/black
10 Yellow/light green
11 Blue
12 Purple/red
13 Red/black
14 Red/orange
15 Brown/green
16 Orange
17 not used
18 Black
19 Slate
20 Red/pink
21 Red/green
22, 23, 24 not used

One plain blue wire from the panel goes to the climate control ECU (‘no drops’ input) another from the ECU to the left blower motor (speed control) and one from the ECU to the in-car temperature sensor.

as you see the green w blue tracer starts on the lower board, 2nd from right and the broken solder wire is on the blue wire on the fan rotary knob

David,

So your pictures show the wiring inside the A/C control panel downstream of that 24-way yellow connector?

That explains why I could not find that Green/blue wire - my wiring diagrams only show the wiring up to that connector, not beyond it in to the unit itself so I cannot tell you where the Green/blue and Blue wires go.

Perhaps you should take out the control panel currently in the car and compare its wiring to the spare control panel.

Yes I should have thought of that before I put the replacement in. Live and learn.

David …

As far as the “face” control here’s what the owners manual says about it.

Personally I don’t think it does anything either !

23%20PM

1 Like