1989 xjs changing 02 sensors most fun ever

After looking over all the service records since 1988, I found that my xjs was still wearing its original denso 02 sensors so decided to try to get them out while I was changing the shocks.
What a nightmare! I thought I did everything right. I let penetrating oil seep in for a couple days prior, Heat the manifold w map gas, used 22mm o2 style socket and ultimately rounded that bitch out. On both sides. My bad. Now going to have to take her to my friends lift and try to muscle it out.
What I would do next time is just cut those wires and use a solid socket rather than a 02 socket w the cut out-because I think it opened slightly allowing it to round bolt.

Bummer James,
I did the same job about a month ago. After disconnecting the three wires I was able to slide a six point wrench down onto the sensor, and work it back and forth to loosen it up. Did not have a socket deep enough. Not much fun, you’re right!

Obviously, anti-seize is called for on those threads when the new sensors are installed. I think you need to be careful not to get it on the sensor itself, though.

Had the same trouble on my XJ40, first used a wrought o2 socket that “spread” and started rounding out the sensor so ditched that socket and bought a cast one. Managed to get it out.

BTW it’s even harder job on the '40 because the heat shield restricts access even more.

Mine are in bad shape. I am going to have to drop the steering rack to get proper leverage!

Could you weld a nut on to what is left of the sensor, rather than dropping the rack?

2 Likes

That looks like a pipe wrench is called for!

I would be inclined to try one of those special crescent wrenches, with spring-loaded jaws and shark-like teeth, that sort of thing is what they are designed for, and work surprisingly well

have seen exhaust pros apply oxy

1 Like

Ditto:

That was going to be my vote. Kirbert beat me to it.

Th stuff that came with the ABC that I installed in my car included manifolds that I would not use. Newish looking O2 sensors were included. For a time, I planned to reuse them. I got them out.
But, so battered that I thought better of it and splurged for new ones. And, yes, I did put Anti seize on the threads. But, took care not to get any on the tip.

Second thought.: Might there be enough room for a chain wrench to wrap around with a good sized handle that might accept a pipe extension;

Or use a mini saw and cut the thing in two. Slip on a fitting 6 point socket and yank away…

Carl

1 Like

Got the bastards out. Anyone have idea where to locate the rubber grommets that go inside firewall that allow the o2 sensor wires to pass? Attached is pic

Yay!! If you can’t find grommets locally, there’s always Mcmaster Carr, although you might wind up with 50 of them, plus freight!

1 Like

Well if I end up with 50 of them I will let you guys know and can disperse them

It’s usually not too difficult to find rubber plugs for closing off such holes. You could get those and just punch holes through the middle.

1 Like