1990 4litre into 1988

I am looking at buying a 1988 xj40 and would like to know how difficult it would be to fit the 1990 instrument cluster into the '88 ? Can it be done . Only reason for asking is i now only have 3/4 of an XJ40 to drive , rear ended a couple of days ago , insurance company says write-off . Will get market value back less scrap value and the car will be still be mine , so will become a donor . Boy am i pissed , totally in the right stopped at lights and bam . Thanks Mark

If the only damage is what is shown in your photograph, and the car were mine, I would find a body shop that would fix it. New bumper complete, deck lid and some pulling of the back of the trunk wall should do the job and there are many XJ40s in Jaguar specific salvage yards. The parts you need were fitted from 1988 to at least 1994 if I recall correctly. I think this would be much easier than trying to re-engineer the analogue instrument pack into a car that was not designed for it. The XJ40 electrical system is mind boggling complex.

Hi Mark, My commiserations, you must be absolutely gutted.
It seems a shame to write off such a nice car if that is the only damage. I appreciate the photo might not show the full extent of the damage but it looks like the rear bumper did it’s job and absorbed most of the impact. I’m guessing the insurance situation where you live is the same as here in the UK in that if the repairs exceed the cars value it is declared a write off regardless of it’s condition beforehand ?
The quotes for repair would include replacing damaged parts with new factory items, and with no disrespect for your car intended, the rear bumper assembly and lights alone would probably cost more from a Jaguar dealer, if they could even find one, than the value the insurance company would reckon the entire car is worth.
Just a thought I had.
Would your insurance company agree to you stripping the rear end yourself, the bumper lights and trim etc, the body shop then repairs only the panel damage returning the car to you to refit a second hand bumper and any other bits needed. With the huge cost of the new bumper removed and all the extra hours of labour needed to remove everything before they start, and then put it all back together again, it might reduce the repair bill to under or close to what the car is valued at.

John and Casso , Thanks for your thoughts , unfortunately the insurance companies here will only cover up to 3/4 of the market value for repairs ,market here is between $5k and $7k . Both rear quarters have been pulled in by the impact , so yeah she’s gone . At least once they pay me for the value of the car less scrap value ( hate saying scrap about my car ) it is still mine to use as a parts car . And they wouldn’t entertain taking parts off before repair to cut costs , they just want things to be easy for they , that’s why our wrecking yards are full of half decent wrecks. Ah well , at least i have my health lol . Mark

Some years ago there was a posting on the old JL site about a successful transplant of the later instrument cluster into an earlier XJ40.

Was not plug and play as I recall but not requiring an electrical engineer either.

The 4.0 is an easy swap in, the added torque might well stress the 4HP22 and the higher gear ratio in the diff will add to that stress. Might be reasonable to swap in the later diff and propshaft if the 4HP22 wil mate up to the 4HP24’s propshaft.