1990 Electrical issue

Hi there
Well I seem to fix two thing only to have another develop. So i went to go in my car this am and no interior lights came on. The map light and lights from the console do not work nor does the radio illumination. NOW I already checked that fuse, the one in the center console, its good, even replaced it for good measure. Its hot on both sides of that fuse.I also checked all, and I do mean ALL other fuses regardless of what they said they went to. Nothing. All are good. I have a repair manual and saw no relays for just those lights. I also now have the lightning bolt warning light on the dash. HELP!!!

The lights out are on the maplights and roof lights by the sunroof, not the lights on the dash to be cllear

The lightning bolt warning light means you have a fuse blown or missing. Did you actually check the fuses for continuity as opposed to just a visual inspection?

Fuses can test good on either side but the juice needs to go from there (front) through the fuse box to the back harness …you may have a problem with cold or cracked solder joints on the fuse box circuit boards, a very common issue on the XJ40.

Jonathan,

You checked which fuse? The power to the lights you describe as out is supplied through fuse C2 in the right side fuse panel, not a fuse in the centre console.

Have you checked that fuse C2?

Thanks Bryan and Larry. I am finding that with this Jaguar there’s a lot of common issues and problems I will have to pull up the fuse block and look on the back to check the solder connections now. Brian on my Jag the center fuse box list of fuse it’s supposed to be for the dome lights and the illumination for the radio however I will check c2 as well

Bryan, success! it was that fuse. Now how do I reset so the bolt goes away?

Jonathan,

As far as I can remember, if the ‘blown fuse’ warning is still on the dash you either have another blown fuse or a missing fuse in one of the fuse panels or a dry solder joint behind one of the fuse panels.
I do not recall there being any ‘reset’ procedure as is the case with EMS warnings when removal of the battery negative lead for a few seconds will clear the computer memory and delete any previous dash warnings.
Where did you get the fuse from to replace the blown C2?
Another concern would be that you have to wonder why that C2 fuse blew in the first place. Has it blown again?

Hi. It was replaced with a brand new fuse. Found one other fuse blown replaced it and problem solved. Not blown again since!