1991 Daimler sovereign warning light

I am getting a dashboard light that I can’t identify. It’s on the lower right side of the display, and I can’t tell what it is. There are no VCM codes, which is odd to me. Any clue what this “warning” light is? Sorry for the vague description.
Thanks for any knowledge on this.

Lower right warning light is indicating low coolant level.

Check your coolant level in reservoir and if OK, suspect faulty sensor

Lots in the archives on this subject - here’s one example -

Thanks for the response. What level of coolant should be visible in the tank? I looked in there, and could see fluid beneath the screen looking thing. I just had a coolant drain and fill some a week ago, btw. The engine didn’t seem to be running hot, temp gage stayed at normal position.i was on a road trip about 2 hours from home traveling around 65-70mph when the light came on.

With a cold engine the coolant should be level with, or slightly above, the strainer (the screen looking thing). As has been noted in the archives the sensor is a reed switch, normally open, that with the sensor removed from the tank can be tested with a multimeter (or powered test light - you are testing for continuity) and a common magnet.

The level in mine is definitely below the plastic bit inside the tank. I’m nowhere near an auto parts store. What should I do?

If you can see any coolant at all in the bottom of the tank and if your temp gauge is near the center ‘N’ mark you should be fine to drive the car. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge. If you have a suitable container you can carry a gallon of plain old water along just in case.

2 Likes

Yep just throw some water in there, better safe than sorry and the dilution factor will be minute.

2 Likes