1992 no start problem

Hi all, finally got back into the forums. I have a 1992 '40 4.0l that I purchased for a small figure, the aim bein to enter a charity rally traveling from Auckland to bluff in the South Island. Drove it home and left it for a couple of days and it didn’t want to start.
Finally it started but it has again reached a point where I have no spark. Engin cranks fine, fuel relay kicks in when the key is turned to pos 2.
Have changed the following with good used items, (off my previous '92 40)
Maf
Coil
Dissy cap and leads
ECU (managed to fry the original when I reversed the battery leads)
CPS but I am not sure if it hasn’t gone bad now so I have another one coming next week.

When cranking on the dead engine, does the tachometer register 200 - 300 RPM?

That is a sure test of the CPS - no RPM indication = no spark or fuel injector operation = no start.

Hi Bryan, great to see you are still active, how’s the Fiat going?
Yes that’s why I have another CPS coming as the tachometer is dead.
I finally sold my daily '92 40 after 13 years and have upgraded to a 1999 XJR
Robin O’Connor
1999 XJR
1975 XJ6 4.2 LWB
1966 3.8 ‘S’ Type MOD
1992 XJ40 Banger

Robin,

Fiat is fine - really hammering the mileage now - all of 1500 miles per annum since new! :slight_smile:

The Range Rover still performing admirably - never any problems to fix so I’ve nothing to keep me occupied these days unless I browse the Jag forum!

Let us know if the replacement CPS solves the problem and you can make that charity run.

Cheers, Just watched the Top Gear Bolivia Special and the old Rangie did reasonably well.
Any idea if Jag stamped the Vin # anywhere apart from under the front left screen tag? the banger cars tag is somewhat degraded and I’m not sure what our Warrent of Fitness (MoT) guys will make of it.
Cheers Robin

Robin,

Can’t remember exactly but a Google search brought up this -

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40-xj81-25/vehicle-identity-number-xj40-10634/

Bryan N

Thanks Bryan.
Just been out to the car and as the post indicates there is a stamped
(lightly) Vin on the inner fender drivers side and a label (with overspray
on the last few numbers) on the lower part of the ‘B’ pillar. Hopefully the
WoF guys will be happy with those.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Robin

Well finally have the car started. I eventually admitted that I had reached the limits of my diagnosis abilities and called in a mobile sparky.
After running a fair amount of diagnostics it came down to the Ign Amp.
Car has some old fuel in the tank so it’s still a bit grumpy but now feel that it will start up when I need it to:)

Cheers for all the help
Robin O’Connor