1992 XJ-S Classic Coupe needs restoration

Hi y’all. It’s been 10 years or more since I was last active in jag-lovers. Over that time, sadly, I have let my nice kitty languish. She’s now in need of restoration. So….seeking advice. Is there anyone within a few hundred miles of Raleigh, NC who you could recommend that I contact? I could afford a restoration, I think, or I could be persuaded to let the kitty go to a good home. Thanks.

Well, saying that your car needs restoration isn’t very specific at all.
If your engine needs to be overhauled, isn’t Chad still down in SC? (Don’t know if he is still fooling around with these engines)

I’m in TX, but feel for ya, Doug … Superblack, my '92 coupe, has been still “languishing” going on 2 years now since I purchased her, at my place. :cry: Hopefully I can come into some big $$ soon, so I can send her out and have done what needs to be done to her to finally get her up (and reliably) running. :pray:

btw, since ours is the first MY of the face-lifts, even though it is a V-12, isn’t it “XJS” and not “XJ-S”, technically? … Also never heard of our MY labeled by Jaguar as “Classic” … ? :confused:

Chad Bolles is Lamborghini only now I seem to remember reading.

IIRC the last few pre-facelift cars in the changeover year (91) were callled Classic and under the US system the MY was 92. Range Rover did the same thing at first a year or two later.

1 Like

Some of the late pre-facelift (1990-1991?) cars in the North American market had a trim package upgrade and were badged as “Classic Collection”. The trim package included contrasting piping in the seats, a leather transmission shifter knob (instead of the plastic “T”), Birdseye Elm interior wood, a gold growler on the bonnet, and the “Classic Collection” badge on the boot lid. The Classic Collection cars came in a limited selection of exterior paint colors. Attached is a picture of my wife’s 1990 Signal Red Classic Collection convertible with the “Classic Collection” badge circled in yellow.

Paul

1 Like

Point taken. The engine is good, tight, never leaked oil. Never crashed, so bodywork (diamond blue exterior, tan interior) and frame are whole. When I was maintaining it I redid injector wiring, water pump & crossover pipe, Tefba filters, cabin heater core; headliner replaced; had diff replaced. Systems needing overhaul are: power steering; a/c; rear in-board brakes (would like to swap rear axle for XJ out-board); front suspension; some engine compartment wiring; maybe engine control module; and a bunch of cosmetic stuff (wood veneer, carpets; trim bits; repaint).

Seems to me that you still had a good bit more that you wanted/needed to deal with. Don’t know your situation but, if you decide to go ahead with the project keep in mind that you will need ample space to house the parts from both cars all at the same time. This type of endeavor will eventually lead to some decisions that need to be made because, for all intents and purposes, you will be in full restoration mode. Are you going to transfer an old suspension setup to your new project? Do you expect that the transfer of your old engine to be absent of any renewal of itself and any other ancillary parts? What about paint? From where I sit, this type of project will necessitate a much deeper reaching into the pocketbook than one would imagine.

1 Like

thanks AJ. Since she’s been rather idle for almost a year, the engine may need breaking down and rebuild. So yeah, could be a money pit. And well,…the reason she’s been idle is that I no longer have the will nor the energy nor the space to do the things that need doing. So I’d be looking to send it out for the project. Or let her go as a parts car for someone who could use it.

I’ll take that back about the engine. Fired her up again today and she purrs as sweetly as ever. Would be a shame I think to relegate her to parts. Could be made concourse I believe if enough were invested.

If you really love the car and don’t mind investing 30K you could send the car down to Pauls Jaguar in Florida, they will go through the entire car from soup to nuts and return to you a fully restored and painted car.

2 Likes

Just don’t try paying the $30K to them using Paypal … :-1: :laughing: