1994 Carbon Canister Difficulty Level Q

Hi all:

Anyone ever try to “recharge” a carbon canister by removing old adding new carbon? Thinking my ‘94 XJS 4.0/6.0 may benefit from one.

Note: just need an opinion or two on “difficulty level” before trying a “do it myself for fun.”

Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

It’s not hard to do, but why?

Gas odor after driving post hose other updates so narrowed down to a bad connection or canister charge. Note: an amateur here.

Is it only occurring after driving, or is it more pungent after you fill up the tank?

I’m going through a problem and it appears that when I fill up the tank, the smell is strongest. As I burn up the fuel in the tank, it gets less pronounced.

Only after driving when parked in garage. No discernible smell in cabin or while driving. No leaks. Seems fairly benign.

Replacing the carbon won’t fix that. You need to correct your vent system.

1 Like

Got it, thank you! Will do some manual review see if I can wrap my skill set around it.

Have you replaced that Rochester Valve?

All odours i’v had in the boot was the fuel filter when left pressurised and parked up, I changed it for a barbed fitting one which is also cleanable, and its gone, completely. Not saying its your prob though. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not yet. Found a step by step. Looks fairly easy though.

Here’s what I did back in 2010 …

2 Likes

Very cool. Have not started the “adventure” yet but narrowing down the road map. Gas cap whoosh is present so this forum has dropped material clues.

Love this canister hack though. Seriously fun “reverse engineering” by breaking the original down and building your own.

Rochester valve replacement should resolve the whoosh.

Not sure if this violates any policy or unwritten rule - if so checking me is welcome - but this link appears to be a good step-by-step:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/guide-replacing-rochester-valve-1992-94-a-200095/