1994 xj v12 red hot catalytic converter

Installed Distributor Cap & Rotor, Engine runs fine , but still can shift…The shift is not moving even when I override, but I hear the solenoid engaging when push on brake pedal … If the cable is melted from the Cat getting Hot, can I give a good pool or need to go under the carriage. Car can’t be towed the way is parked.
Thanks

Sounds like the transmission is stuck in park? If the able outer is melted then you will probably have to get under the car and remove the cable to manually move the shifter out of park and into neutral.

There is any distributor that sale (Trans Shifter Cable) ? Looking all over and only finding for v12 up to 1992…
Thanks for the replay.

Sabatino what are the last six numbers of your VIN ?

The last six numbers are 676642

very short replies are not allowed. Can you please reply with at least 20 characters

Sabatino …

Robin is correct (as usual) you must get under the car to see what’s happening.

Although they have different part numbers if the cable on your '94 is the same design as the earlier cars it’s a common problem. The rubber bonding that holds the mounting bracket to the cable fails and allows the cable to slide back and forth instead of moving the shift lever. Very obvious when looking at it. Fortunately if this is the problem it can be repaired without removing the cable.

The part number for the transmission cable on your '94 V12 is MMD 4830CA later changed to MNA 4830BA. Either cable should work.

Thanks for the part numbers I real appreciate what you guys did for
me…I will try to get under the car next week, as far melting the
rubber…I do not think is the case…looks like the inner cable and
the outside housing fused together . My stick shift is not moving at
tall…my cable is not sliding back and forth, like when you try to
shift with out pressing on brake pedal.but I hear the noise of the
solenoid engaging.Even put a screwdriver inside the hole and when you
press on the pedal the screwdriver goes in 1/4 of inch down.

Sabatino De Santis Sr.
Tino’s Tv Repair LLC
456 Route 22 W Suite #7
Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889
P: 908.757.6400 Ext. 1010
F: 908.534.8851
Web:www.TinosTv.Com

( 2011-2012-2013-2014 -2015-2016-2017 )
E-mail:Tino@TinosTv.com

Sabatino De Santis Sr.
Tino’s Tv Repair LLC
456 Route 22 W Suite #7
Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889
P: 908.757.6400 Ext. 1010
F: 908.534.8851
Web:www.TinosTv.Com

( 2011-2012-2013-2014 -2015-2016-2017 )
E-mail:Tino@TinosTv.com

Update: Got a new shift cable from Gary@jagbits.com very nice guy…Installed, adjusted - now is all good…NOW can’t change the radio from FM to CD…Will change to am,Fm,WB And cassette, actually just replaced the belt. The radio was a part to ck if the cd switch was making contact and was ok…Any idea about the CD Player…CD player wiring goes from the gear box to the trunk passing close by to the shifting cable that MELTED…
Thanks
Sabatino

Sabatino …

Cassette … CD … Wide Band … ???

Why not replace that antique with a new inexpensive head unit that will have MUCH better sound and versatility. Using a thumb drive you can store about a Gagillon songs.

WB = Weather Band. Back in the day before smartphones with weather apps it was quite handy to have if travelling during inclement weather. Still handy, although less so, but the novelty quotient is rather high!

As Johnny Carson used to say … “I did not know that!” :open_mouth:

…and spend all day listening to random stuff instead of the tune you want -or - spending endless hours with your eyes off the road or pulled over scanning through the gagillion looking for something …gimme the old CD tech anyday :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I was thinking the same. Just sometime I like to keep as original possible can be…

LUDDITES :laughing:

1 Like

I was reluctant to give up my original head unit with the weather band and the CD changer in the trunk but I bit the bullet and installed a Kenwood unit that gives me FM, AM (remember that?), Sirius satellite radio (if I opt to subscribe and add the sat receiver and antenna. which can be had for free if you subscribe), USB input for smartphone / iPod / flash (thumb) drive, single CD play, and Bluetooth for connecting BT-equipped music players and for providing hands-free mobile phone. I use the Bluetooth for hands-free mobile phone service and the USB port for a flash drive loaded with MP3 music, I listen to FM stations using the tuner, and I play some CDs. By the way, the little cubby hole to the left of the steering wheel (LHD car) is just the right size for CDs and will hold quite a few if they are in paper sleeves rather than the thicker plastic cases.

I just have a few 6-pack CD cartridges loaded up ready to swap if I get bored with my current selections …plus I never, ever listen to ANY radio and view Sirius as a proper joke (who the heck would pay for radio?)

I use the car to get away from the phone and have no desire to be reached on the road.

I’m well aware of using thumb drives for storing content but unless you have a dash display of titles in the car (like the newer cars do) it’s impossible to select the tune you want without severe distraction and with no display, impossible. Trying to get MP3’s playing in a desired order requires quite a lot of dicking around with the files before loading them up on the thumb drive and I doubt 99% of consumers have a clue how to do it or even be bothered.

I suppose thumb drive music input on an out-of-direct-sight player is OK if you want random stuff or listen to Yanni or Zamfir’s pan pipes, but I’m pretty particular on what gets into my ear, so no.

Believe it or not, turning a knob is often faster and more intuitive than pushing things that go beep.

1 Like

Hey got a new used original radio from ebay $100.00 now is all good…But I noticed a rumbling /vibration at low speed coming from the front passenger side…any input…?? I am going toward the Hub…Is possible the bearing going bad at low speed generate a vibration, Installed new Tires yesterday , did minimized the problem , but is still there.
Thanks
Sabatino

Glad to see you didn’t give into the pressure to change out your original radio. Personally i would have sent my original Jaguar radio out to a shop for repairs. It could be fixed instead of just putting another used unit into your car. I love cars that are 100% stock.

Well mine had a intermittent loss of audio, cassette player was slow and lately the heat from the Catalytic converter did more damage, was not switching input…But my real problem is the front passenger side shacking…Any help with that ?