1994 XJ40 Sovereign 4.0ltr .Headlights won't turn off!

Hi, the headlights on my XJ40 won’t turn off! I’ve just recently refitted the battery, after being on a trickle charge since February. The car started first time, no probs. However, after checking all the lights, I found the headlights won’t turn off. They come on when the ignition is on. I’ve been "investigating " today. I took the lighting logic unit out, and took the rotary switch apart, I won’t do that again, I’m lucky I found the ball bearing that shot out!!! The headlights even came on with the ignition on, and the lighting logic board wasn’t connected! I then found the headlight module in the engine bay, (osf) disconnected the two plugs, and sprayed them with wd40. That made the ns headlight go off briefly, but not for long. It’s all back together again now, and the headlights still come on with the ignition. Can anyone point me in the right direction for tomorrow’s investigation?
Many thanks, in anticipation.
Jona.

If the car is fitted with DRL for a market that requires them then it is normal.

Do the low beams or the high beams or both turn on with ignition on?

My car has drl’s and headlights come on with the ign. Normal, as said above.

Hi all, and thanks for your replies. I live in the UK, and drls (daytime running lights? ) are not mandatory, though most new cars are fitted with them, these days. I wasn’t aware that it was an option to have drls on this model. I’ll check the owners handbook, and see what it says. I’ll let you’s know.

Regards,

Jona.

Joe 77, just the main beam comes on with the ignition, no side or tail lights, and the rotary switch is in the off position.
I’ve just read the handbook, and I don’t think it’s meant to have drls, as the side and tail lights don’t come on when the ignition is switched on.

Regards,

Jona.

Deffinately not correct, there is no way the main beams should be illuminated straight away with ignition on. Is the problem with both head lights or only one? Sounds like it is both.