New to this forum & these cars. I have a 1995.25 MY XJS 4.0L with about 150k miles. The engine has run great since I had it, and now won’t start. Of course I was working on something when it happened, so I suspect I caused the problem. I put lots of details below, would appreciate any advice or questions if more info is needed.
Best Regards, Rob.
- Engine has been running fine, car driven a couple days a week
- A few weeks ago the lights on the speed/gauge section of the dash stopped working.
- One day I decided to look into that problem. I won’t divert to that story, but at one point I had the speedo cluster out and decided I should check the voltage on some connector pins with the engine running.
- The engine didn’t start, and hasn’t started since. So it seems a lot like I did something wrong (knocked a connector loose, etc), but maybe the timing is a coincidence.
- Engine turns over fine
- Tach shows 1000 rpm when cranking, which seems wrong to me
- Doesn’t catch and run
- Seems like classic no-fuel or no-spark case
Diagnosis so far
** Disconnected feed hose at rail, put in a bottle, filled the bottle in a couple of seconds of cranking. So seems to have volume.
** Don’t have a pressure gauge, so reconnected feed hose and disconnected return hose at regulator. A couple of seconds of cranking produced a few of spurts of fuel out of the regulator, so it seems to have pressure (assuming the regulator is good).
** OK, this car has no spark plugs, well there’s the problem…
** Found them, and about 2-3" of oil in the wells
** Tightened the cam cover screws to a couple of ft-lbs, they were completely loose
** Cleaned the wells & the coil boots, replace the spark plugs, set gap to 0.035"
** Checked the front plug for spark, it is making a spark but doesn’t feel like a regular rhythm. I realize that’s subjective.
** Did some searching/reading, found out about the tendency of CPS to fail.
** Replaced CPS, but no change in behavior.