1995 Jaguar XJS - Window Electrical?

Hello, my 1995 Jaguar XJS convertible has had issues with the front windows for some time now. After replacing the motor / regulator on each side (front only), the passenger window works perfectly, but the drivers side window is slow to go up and down. Recently it lags for a moment as if it’s not going to work. It only does this going up. I also recently replaced the window switches as well.

IN THEORY, if those fixes aren’t the solution, could it be electrical wiring or something? Not sure how the connection works between the switch and the door. I’m sure it would be expensive to diagnose and fix…

I really appreciate your insight. This is getting old (a drama that’s been going on for minimum seven months) and it’s really stressing me out. I hate never knowing if this will be the day it stops working.

Just to ask, did you clean out the tracks and roller wheels and re grease them on each side? That can make a big difference. I know my 93’s rollers and channels were caked up with old grease. Other thing you can do is check power to the window motor to see if it fluctuates when you hold the switch

Cleaning and lubricating the tracks is in order, as Jason previously mentioned.

BTW, 1995 XJS convertible may mean 4.0L 6-banger or a 6.0L V12.
For this topic, it doesn’t matter, but please be mindful of that - the best way to avoid the question “what engine?” in future posts.

1 Like

The most important track to lubricate is the bottom horizontal track…it is parallel with the ground. It has aplastic clip the slides forward and back. I would suggest using a silicone paste, or some kind of pasty grease. A spray on lubricant will not last as long.

Of course, while you’re there, you’ll want to lubricate the front and back vertical rails as well. Same grease.

I occasionally spray silicone spray on front and rear tracks… also tracks have to be adjusted correctly… not too tight

Would you happen to still have the old motors and regulators? I’m curious to know if they still look like the 88-89 regulator shown in this picture:

The argument there is that the regulator has mounting holes to fit both the newer square-case Delco motor and the older round-case Delco motor. I think the later Bosch motor fits the same way as the square-case Delco, so it might fit as well – although it might call for a 10-tooth pinion instead of an 8-tooth.

If your regulator has all those mounting holes, it might be possible to install the window motors from a 1977 Camaro in there. These are also shown in that same thread. Cheaper and more powerful. However, important to note that they require a minor wiring change: you’ve got to disconnect the ground lead from the window switches.