1995 XJS 4.0L rear brake pads

The next thing that I am doing after the battle with the thermostat is the brake system. I am replacing pads, rubber hoses and flushing the system. Everything went fine until I tried to replace the rear pads . I was told that EBC Green Stuff pads are some of the best to use. I ordered them from CARID as they had the lowest price. The ones they sent and listed is part number DP2690/2 and they did not fit. I called EBC direct and they said I needed DP21198, whis is for a 1995 6.0L XJS. So there are 2 part numbers used in 1995. the first number is smaller in size. so be sure you get the correct ones. By the way CARID was easy to deal within solving this issue.
I wonder how many more odd things like this I’ll find. Steve

1 Like

At some point the outboard rear brakes went from solid rotors to vented rotors. Could that be when the pads changed as well? Do you have vented rotors?

Mine v12 was manufactured in Feb 95. Has vented rotors

Did the six stick with solid rotors when the V12 went to ventilated rotors? I wouldn’t think they’d be interested in making two different brake systems.

In answer to your question, my 1995 4.0L does have outboard vented rotors. Steve

The 1994 4.0L rear axle I swapped into my XJR-S came with very rusty, solid discs, and siezed calipers. I swapped these for vented discs and calipers from (I think) a later XK8/XKR. Now I’m looking at the spare pads I bought a while ago and stuck on the shelf for a rainy day (basically when the MOT guy says enough is enough, after a couple of warnings). EBC yellow stuff this time, DP4940R, last time was red stuff. You swap the first digit in the part number - 2=green, 3=red, 4=yellow. Now I look at the box and see that what I have is listed as for the front of a Daewoo. Have I, or EBC, screwed up a parts cross reference? It has happened before with the rear handbrake, where many parts manuals will pull up a Citroen brake shoe instead of the Jag item.

Perhaps Citroen used the same calipers?

Nope, completey different items. I think I got a Citroen brake pad - flat thingy. I was expecting a Jaguar brake shoe - round thingy.

Jaguar had a running change in 1995. If your last 6-digits of the VIN are higher than 198335, then you are looking at:

JLM11903JLM21344
JLM21919

If 198334 or lower, this is your reference point (JLM1833):

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/part/id/C03.910.91058.91058291.910582913735/brand/jaguar/

You are in the UK and your car is modified XJR-S.
Not sure what parts your swapped in, but the e-brake aftermarket parts catalogs, in the US, are not to be relied upon.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a crap shoot. You have to take the part in and physically get it matched to the right thing. My Alfa is the same, right on the edge of the change from a 1600 to a 1750. They just pulled parts off the shelf and made it fit. I’ve had a number of conversations along the line of: well it shouldn’t have the indicators there [ and yet it does ] that isn’t the correct air filter [ but that’s what it came with ] your exhaust manifold isn’t correct [ you say that, but it’s what I have ] etc. Don’t get me started on the SAAB.