1996 XJR... Keep it or sell it

I own a 1996 XJR and I’m torn. The car is in rough shape inside and out. Every seat has rips and holes, drivers seat computer needs to be replaced, head liner is falling various odds and ends are broken. The exterior body is good but needs a paint job. Motor and trans is sound but has the notorious sticking throttle, needs shocks, water pump and those are the main high lights.

I love Jags in general and this ones an XJR… Need I say more. But the practical side of me can’t decide if it is worth the investment to
A) Get it road worthy
B) Attempt to factory restore it
C) Customize the re-hab making it nice but not so factory correct (just because of hard to find parts)
D) Cut my losses and sell it

I’m open to any feedback because at this point, all of the trees are in the way.

Thanks

If you have a good chassis and power train then the rest is just window dressing. Parts are readily available and not too expensive. You’d also keep the price down if you can do most of the work yourself.

I’d keep it but the choice is yours.:grinning:

How many miles/kilometers?

The car has 160,000 miles on it. I have no idea whether they are mostly highway or around town and how well maintained the car was before I got it. I suppose a compression test should be done before I go any further If I decide to keep it.

Seems to me one could find a better-condition, lower-mileage example, for less than the cost of repairs on this one.

Get it road worthy, drive it and over time start the restoration process. I have an XJR-100. It’s a lovely car. Mine was hit by a deer, I spent nearly 15 grand putting it back together; and don’t regret it a bit. Parts are a bit dodgy to come by especially interior bits. Surfing craigslist regularly looking for the bit you need or will need.
All but two of my Jags were clapped out cars. I just watch craigslist regularly and pic up the parts I need. over the years I’ve acquired enough parts to put together a complete XJ6 Series III.