1999 XJR Fault Display

Just when I think I’ve managed to fix all the electronic “Gliches” another one appears. While driving the speedometer display begins showing “Electrical/Suspension” fault. No other lights or warnings. No codes, just the odometer display. After powering down the car and restarting the fault goes away, only to appear a a later, random time. Has anyone experienced this fault display. Oh yes, the 1999 XJR does not have any active suspension, just plain old shocks ! ! !

Dick

'74 OTS
'99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”

Dick,
This may be relevant:

so with my xk torn all apart i have finally found the problem, after learning how to read the electrical diagram and 2 weeks of searching IT TURNED OUT TO BE A BLOWN DIODE (1N4005) IN SIDE THE FUSE BOX NEXT TO THE RELAY.
wow right ?

drivers fuse box
i thought i would include a picture of the blown diode its the lower left corner https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-G…-k/fusebox.jpg

There will be DTCs in a module somewhere on the network!!
I always interrogate the entire car (ALL MODULES) when looking for clues to a problem.

Sometimes a module will fault another module with a NO COMMUNICATION error so you can look to the OTHER module for an interruption to the network.

I would check the INST PK for the error to see what module is either NOT COMMUNICATING or has a fault logged. (or we can all guess??)

You will need a ‘dealer-level’ type scanner for this.

bob

Bob,

Thanks for coming to the rescue again. Currently all I have is a OBDII
reader which I know doesn’t come close to reading all the codes. I use it to
keep tabs on certain engine parameters, especially water temperature.

What “dealer-level” reader/scanner would do the job? This car is so
solid I don’t ever plan on selling it so investing in a good scanner should be
money well spent. It has only 32300 original miles!!!

Again, thanks for your guidance.

Dick

'74 OTS
'99 XJR
1947 Stinson 108-1 “Voyager”

In a message dated 10/23/2017 11:19:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

_motorcarman_ (http://forums.jag-lovers.com/u/motorcarman)  

October 23

There will be DTCs in a module somewhere on the network!!
I always interrogate the entire car (ALL MODULES) when looking for clues
to a problem.
Sometimes a module will fault another module with a NO COMMUNICATION error
so you can look to the OTHER module for an interruption to the network.
I would check the INST PK for the error to see what module is either NOT
COMMUNICATING or has a fault logged. (or we can all guess??)
You will need a ‘dealer-level’ type scanner for this.
bob

I don’t have a recommendation as to the diagnostic equipment you need. I have 3 WDS and 2 IDS for Jaguars so I am good 1995 up to MY 2009 with the software I have.

If you are in the North Central Texas (Wise County) area I can read all the modules and printout the faults.

There are other more common (cheaper) tools for Jaguars/Land Rovers on the market.

You might call around to shops in your area to see if anyone has the diagnostic equipment.

bob

If you wish to buy scanner software, have a look at AutoEnginuity with Jaguar extensions. Another route is the “mongoose” interface with pirated IDS software from the InterWeb. My ethics dilemma gets pretty weak when we are discussing an unsupported 15 year old product from a company that is no longer the same entity!

1 Like