2 1/2 Litre DHC at Gooding & co

There are under bonnet shots. (Just keep plowing through the photos and they’ll come round.) It doesn’t look too bad apart from a horrible modern battery held down with a frame rather than battery lugs.

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1939-jaguar-ss-2-12-litre-drophead-coupe/

It has wrong exhaust manifolds with centre fixing but I was impressed that it had the correct hose clips.

Otherwise I think the dashboard wood looks pretty good although the bezel for the scuttle vent knob appears to be missing. I agree about the misshapen gearbox cover and I don’t think the gear lever knob is the correct mushroom shaped rubber one. I also noticed non-original wrong shaped tool tray locks and the lid is missing its leather restraining strap and the dinky little wrench in the feeler gauge slot is wrong. Oh, and the wiper arms are the wrong type.

(I hope nobody scrutinises my car.)

Peter :innocent:

Peter

yes , now I found the engine pics. And indeed incorrect postwar ex manifolds, although you can grind the excess parts off. But also has after market stainless exhaust system , The engine pipes have that bend- straight- bend look instead of long sweeping curves. And the temp gauge capiliary is post war with wire wound around it .
I’m not sure where the battery lead is headed to .

But , it is pretty good and all of that is fixable .

Yes, I do agree.

Peter :blush:

But that dinky little adjustable spanner is SO CUTE.
Should the side arm and bolts on the jack be black? Mine are.

But what do you folks think of the gunmetal color?
Slight hint of blue or slight hint of green?

Here’s a photo of the tool tray lid in closed position.
Ron

Very neat looking but wrong extrusion.

Peter

Beautiful restoration indeed. Wondering why not go a little further to reflect originality by installing body color fender beading and a chrome strip above rear window ? The clock appears to be working during the photo session.
Popop

I received the SS DHC side strips from Germany and took them out for a look , The chamfer is 45 deg. The bonnet and door strips are brass but the A pillar and rear quarter are Mazak , with all the bad things that implies.
I think the brass ones could be restored very well although one has a crack and a dent ,. The mazak ones i will bet NC machined from 6mm brass strip and braze studs on the back for mounting. I have done this before with SS saloon side strips quite successfully . But it isn’t that cheap partially because of the cost of buying the brass and paaartially because of the machining costs .

Sold for $165K, including 15% buyers commission.
Ron

Not a bad price for a nice car . It would cost more than that to do if done professionally.

Greetings All,

Made a copy of one of the spears for someone using other side as pattern.

Have brazed brass radiator shells before, somewhat tricky keeping the right tempo.

Ended up with a brass bolt, by modifying the head. Counterbored the brass spear and silver-soldered it in place.

Chromed up nicely.

Here, the bigger issue is how the efficiently design will fit the brass getting the right size. Usually go to McMaster if I can’t find a piece at the marina.

postwar on XK120’s apart from Pastel blue Metallic, Pastel Green metallic, Silver and bronze there was also gunmetal to start with maybe not cataloged.
Prewar there were several SS100 and therefore probably dozens of Saloons and DHC painted in a form of metallic as edd notes 18004 steel grey 39005 was red sheen others include steel dust, silver metallic, silver blue, metallic grey (very popular 30 at least SS100’s) silver metallic, blue opalescent, steel dust, blue sheen, gunmetal at least 6 SS100’s and believe it or not “rust red metallic” something that might occur naturally later. On the brochure it uses a word “Pearl Essence”
The first owner of an XK120 here in Australia swears that his black XK120 was actually a metallic colour the original paint recorded in factory records as being “Glasso” brand not the usual PJ or Domalac
terry

Metallic colors were used at least as early as the post war MKIV. I know this because I’ve owned them and worked on the classic Jags since 1967, personally owned MK5’s and 4’s bought from the original owners with low mileage, in as new condition with original paint, (usually in the $150 - $300 price range, those were the days!) Most popular metallics were the opalescent light blue and light silver.

Hi,

Yes, like you can see from my earlier postings, “Silver” was offered as early as 1932 and was also listed in the 1934 factory brochure and price list with £5 extra charge.

The blue and green were not called that at the time of the MKV and XK120 but they were called “Pastel Green (Metallic)” and “Pastel Blue (Metallic)”. Additionally for SS Jaguar, MKIV and MKV there was “Gunmetal” and for XK120 there was also “Bronze” and “Silver”…(and the very short lived “Twilight Blue” which was also the colour of the motor show MKVII launch car seen both in London and New York shows)

AFAIK “SIlver” was not offered on MKIV nor MKV as an option, I am unaware of any special orders either (documented) before the was anything was possible, like the golden SS100 that went to Singapore IIRC what Ed has told us before. Silver was quite popular on the XK120 however, I think about one third of the cars that came to Finland were Silver.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
Fin.

According to Allan Crouch’s recent book, 1748 Mark Vs were Gunmetal, 327 were Pastel Blue Metallic, 344 were Pastel Green Metallic, 15 were Silver, 34 in special colors, 85 in CKD finish (i.e. to be painted by the distributor) and 9 in primer.

Of the special colors, 2 were Bronze, 1 Bronze Sheen, 1 Dark Metallic Green, 1 Sage Metallic Green and 1 Twilight Blue. Several others have the word Sheen in the color name, but it is unknown whether any of them were metallic. Only two were two-tone.

This week I was able to compare my Gunmetal painted side vent and gas tank door of my Mark V with a Gunmetal bonnet from an XK120, and it was a really good match, or at least no difference that I could see.

That SS100 used to belong to a friend of my family’s: wondered where it ended up.

The gold/silver 100 was exported toSingapore, During the war, to avoid it beig requisitioned by the Japanese, it was dismantled and buried, and apparently "lagonda"was engraved into the rocker cover. Although I can’t see what this would achieve as Lagaondas are also desirable. Not quite as much but still… : >)
FRom the Australian enda RAAF officer found the parts [ o rperhaps some of them] and reassembled them into acar. There was never a positive ID on the chassis number which had been ground off. It was raced in Singapore and back here in Aust, Went very well , I had a drive and did everything right…
But there was always uncertainty about the numbers[ Important for investment 'collectors’but possibly not for those who use their cars. The owner died several years ago and the last I saw of it was at the Motorclassica Auction, I think last year. Quite a modest price I thought as was an extraordinarily correct C Type replica.[ which gave me sleepless nights for a while.
However at about the same time there were reports of the same chassis number in US. I never saw eve n photos of that car so am not in a position to make a comparative judgement…
It’s possible that both cars incorporated parts of the original. One would have to closely look at both cars[ with hindsight] fora forensic judgement. I don’t know the r whereabouts of either at present.