2 years and all I needed was 1 inch. Transmission issue solved

You have no idea how frustrating this has been for me. The short version:

• Bought low mileage cherry 1990 XJ40 with blown head gasket
  • Block corroded so I purchased a 1991 low mileage ebay engine
  • Engine runs great, transmission not so much.
  • Slipping in R/D. Went through gallons of fluids.
  • Damaged torque converter? Replaced TC. Small improvement still slips.
  • Drove it around as a occasional grocery-getter, never confident in the car.
  • Damaged Trans A bands? Purchased 1994 transmission in the fall swap it and its TC in two weeks ago. SAME slipping.

Has to be a pressure issue. Cooler line flush? Bypass cooler? What else?
Filter?
When swapping engine almost two years ago - I replaced a lot of parts, hoses, belts, etc. I bought a new trans filter kit from Welsh. When I installed the 1994 trans, I took the “newish” Welsh filter from the 1990 and put it in the 1994 transmission. I saw, (but it didn’t register) that the two filters were not the same.

I purchased and I put in the wrong filter the first time I put the engine back together. The one inch tube on the original wasn’t on the replacement.
So…If I had the right amount of fluid on the dipstick, the pump would be starved for fluid.
If I “overfilled” on the dipstick, I was technically getting fluid into the side-fed filter, but it would have to be really hot to function correctly and yes, I think my A bands were impacted.

I put the OLD original filter back in - and of course now it runs and drives great.
I can’t believe I spent two years of my life - dropped the trans three times, went through GALLONS of fluid, and became an expert on the zf4hp24 transmission - only to find the simplest of explainations.
I am both elated and pissed.
The END.

PS. Today is Literally my 2 year anniversary of joining this forum.

Pics for proof.

3 Likes

Interesting backdrop.

3 Likes

Wallpaper of a true man cave.

3 Likes

A very sobering thought. Its all in the details. At least now you should be able to drive the cat and enjoy it as a Jaguar should be.

1 Like

The filter WITHOUT the extension is for the XJS!!!(shallow pan)

2 Likes

While taking full responsibility for the screw up. I will say I went back to the receipts and back to the Welsh web site and the navigation isn’t exactly clear. You can start out looking for XJ6 parts and easily start browsing other years/models.

It’s not the mistake so much as the time it took to figure it out.

This is a welcome consolation.
:pray:

Jitneybead …

Unless I’m very mistaken that’s a picture of my wife on your wall :yum:

1 Like

Q: How do you know you’re getting old?
A: When you look at the two pictures Jitneybead posted and quickly notice the difference between the two filters but it isn’t until other posters comment and you go back and look at the pictures that you notice that in the first picture the lady to the right of the filter is wearing what looks like a grey headband but in the second picture the headband appears to be light blue! Anyone else notice that? :smile:

5 Likes

Irrelevant non sequitur

1 Like

You are welcome!

2 Likes

“A: When you look at the two pictures Jitneybead posted and quickly notice the difference between the two filters but it isn’t until other posters comment and you go back and look at the pictures that you notice that in the first picture the lady to the right of the filter is wearing what looks like a grey headband but in the second picture the headband appears to be light blue! Anyone else notice that? :smile:”

… ?

1 Like

Head band?? What head band😛

1 Like

Obviously this weak attempt at humour fell flat so how about this:

Q: How do you know you’re getting old?
A: When you look at the two pictures Jitneybead posted and quickly notice the difference between the two filters but it isn’t until other posters comment and you go back and look at the pictures that you notice that the ladies in the background are nearly naked.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for participating in my clickbait.
The girls have keep me company these last couple of years. I started out putting up one for every decent stretch of time I spent working on the car.
I ran out of centerfolds before I ran out of work. :crazy_face:

1 Like

HI Dennis I am 83 this month and i stopped looking at headbands on young ladies a long time ago. John

1 Like

Not gotten that high, yet?

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Interesting read. I was just planning to do a DIY trans service. I will definitely compare the old and new fiters and check for that 1 inch tube.

Jitneybead.

Thankfully there are folks out there with a huge measure of perseverance. Well done!