2000 XK8 Limp mode

My 2000 XK8 is going in an out of Limp mode with the ASC not available Trac not available.
Any help or advise will be appreciated.
Sometime it happens while I am driving

!

Try the XK8 forum. This forum is for XKs 120-150.

Hey…it DOES have, “XK” in it!!!

Thanks I appreciate the info.

Your “check engine” light is on. Get a code reader and read the trouble codes.
Auto parts stores will read your codes for free and recommend the parts you need to fix it.

We’ve had this problem ever since that model came on the market, lost but sincere help seekers. But the header on this forum home page:
For discussing the post-war Jaguar XK-120, XK-140, XK-150 and XKSS.
seems to have reduced these occurrences.

I moved you to the XK8 forum since I can.
Might be as simple as a faulty ABS sensor at the wheel, at least this is what my BMW does for the second time now in only twenty years.
It might be undervoltage but I doubt that. First get the codes read and it should tell you where the fault comes from.
You can drive in the meantime but be prepared for intermittent or no ABS pump action; I don’t feel safe with it and you probably shouldn’t, either.
David

First and cheapest thing is to check the condition of the battery. A drop in voltage can bring up those very symptoms.

You should get the codes read after that to point you in the right direction.

Thanks. I had the battery check and it’s fully charge. The battery was purchased in May 2017.
Thanks for the info

Thanks rob.
It seems like everything is pointed to the ABS Pump sensor. I found one on eBay should get it by Next week.
I was think also of having the abs sensors on the wheels cleaned to be on the safe side as well.
Thanks again
M

I disagree with you about the safety. When the ABS light is on, the car reverts back to standard braking and acceleration. The car brakes like it would before ABS was invented. It will also spin its wheels. These were things a good driver could take care of before, without breaking a sweat. You can drive the car safely with the ABS light on until the light burns out, and then keep on driving.

1 Like

I agreed with everything, but if it’s intermittent it may trigger the pump out of the blue and a suddenly vibrating brake pedal can be very distracting, especially in situations that need your full attention. If it was not sporadic then I wouldn’t care much either :slightly_smiling_face:

When that happens the car goes in to Limp mode and this is when it get scary.

I am on the highway and the car doesn’t want to accelerate.

M

I think you should consider the possibility that there are two separate problems. I re-read your original post and you did not mention whether or not the ABS warning light was on. If an ABS wheel sensor fails it will generate ABS, ASC & Traction Control warnings. I cannot see any reason why it would also put the car into limp mode and it certainly didn’t on mine when I had a wheel sensor fail.

OTOH, you also have the MIL (check engine) light illuminated. A problem that would cause that to come on, a misfire or dead O2 sensor for example might well cause Limp to be invoked.

I am not a fan of guessing. Fault finding requires information and logic and I echo Rob’s advice to get a code reader. If you have a failed wheel sensor or other problem with the ABS a decent reader will pinpoint it for you and it will also tell you why the MIL is on.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

Thanks Eric

Great info

They did find a fault code and it pointed to the ABS Module that’s what the mechanic said.

He didn’t say anything about the engine light.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

It’s a beautiful car and I don’t want to get rid of it because I am frustrated for not being able to get a reasonable diagnostic for the problem.

I think I will have to take it to a Jag dealer and spend the money.

Thanks again

All in the N. Vancouver, BC area,

Any recommended detail shops, for my XK8. Inside & out.

Bob

Bob Allen
kabob@wavecable.com

Where are you located? There are good, Jag trained, independent mechanics out there. I have one in Calgary that is good and reasonable. I have also found the local dealer to be reasonable. Give a shout out to Jag owners in your area.

Thanks Grahame

I am in Connecticut

M

Hi Eric,

I picked up the car from the mechanic this morning after they replace the ABS module.

10 minutes into my drive home the car went into Limp mode again ASC not available.

I think I am going to have them check the ABS sensors next.

Hopefully that will fix the problem

Thanks guys

M

Check for bad grounds or corroded connectors. There is a bunch of connections under the ABS that are susceptible to corrosion from moisture collecting there.

Thanks Grahame

Now the car is going a Throttle code.

They are going to look at the silver pins if that doesn’t fix the problem then they will change the TSP sensor.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again.

Marc