2002 XJR-100 cuts out at 3000 RPM, then recovers at 2,500

I took the XJR out for a spin yesterday, and was listening to the glorious whine of the supercharger, when I heard another noise, I couldn’t decipher if it was tire noise on the road or worse, engine (timing chain) :expressionless:

I pulled over, put the car in park and gradually rev’d the engine, I got to just under 3,000 RPM; and the engine cut out or gulped, loped, Not sure what a person would call it. but as soon as the RPM dropped down below 2,500 RPM the engine recovered, (without moving my foot on the Accelerator pedal) then shot back up to 3,000 rpm, then did it again. I released the accelerator pedal, and the car idled normally.

Under load.
so I put it sport (high stall speeds) and performed the test again. this time it didn’t cut out. I got it home, threw on the OBD scanner, no codes.

I know the some of the early 4.0 v8 had issues with timing chain tensioners. From what I gathered, this issue was sorted by 2000 or 2001. I don’t know if the PO replaced them or not (I haven’t done it) and I don’t know what the warning signs are either. I run Royal Purple synthetic and change the oil religiously at 3,000 miles.

Open to thoughts on this matter,

Thank you in advance
Mark

The engine won’t rev past 3000 in P or N. There is no need to redline the engine without a load on it.

The 4.0 engine has the newer style timing chains/tensioners from engine S/N 0108130000 onward (August 13, 2001)
The later style tensioners can be installed by the customer/owner or if the engine was replaced by Jaguar with one of the later engines.

The VIN or vehicle build date has nothing to do with when the engine was actually built. The engine was built BEFORE the car was built so the only SURE way to know is to look at the engine number!!!

bob

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, I will check the Serial number. I realize no need to redline, hardly ever to I take it over 3,500 RPM, I was just trying to locate the odd noise, when the engine cut out at nearly 3 grand.
Mark