2002 XJR no start

Everybody knows the old adage…“If it ain’t broke, keep dickin’ with it 'til it is”. Well, that’s me. As I mentioned a few days ago, the check engine light from the fuel pumps failure extinguished soon after I drove the car around the neighborhood a bit. In the interim, I had ordered an OBDII reader that has the capability to delete codes that were stored in the “pending” file…items not yet formally confirmed as hard faults. So I plug in my handy dandy new electronic tool to see which codes had been thrown when the fuel pumps failed. The only one recorded is for the fuel pump…the one associated with the “reduced performance” message. Nothing about the emissions system on the tank…probably because the battery was disconnected while I worked on the pumps/tank, and were plugged in before I reconnected the battery. But the main thing is all the monitors are in the green.

Anyway, I decided I’d erase that one fuel pump code that was in the “pending/holding” file… The code reader asks if you really want to do this. I decide “what the hell…of course I do”, and push the button. The next thing I know the whole component monitor screen shows red X’s where there had been green check marks. I had stupidly wiped the historical info from every monitor. This forced the requirement for conducting multiple iterations of the drive cycle profile to get them to click back to green.

By the fourth run through the drive cycle routine this morning, I had everything back to green except the CAT. I did two more runs on the CAT portion of the drive cycle, this time with the transmission in third gear to move the RPM to a higher value for the 5 minute run and power off coast from 50-60 MPH. The CAT monitor refused to switch to green. So I decided, “screw it…the State of Texas allows one of the monitors to be red and still pass”. So after almost two hours and multiple near misses with semis’s running me over as I let off the gas and coasted to a stop on the shoulder (the throttle-off test), I headed for the house. As I’m driving down our street, the OBD tester starts chiming. I pull in the driveway and look at the tester. CAT had just turned green. Two hours and six runs through the drive cycle.

The obvious lesson here is don’t touch a thing if the damned tester shows green. There was one code in that pending file when I started the drive cycles. Now there are eight or nine. No idea what they are…likely associated with me shutting off and reinitiating the tester after the test runs. Don’t know, don’t care. It goes in for the emissions test tomorrow.

PS I started the E-type yesterday. It fired up instantly after the same 2-3 month down period…

Great my friend…

Again you have to do close to 50 mile loops to clear the cycle loop and reset

Just imagine…

When you hook up a trailer and tow and the traction slip light comes on😀

Remember the x300 had none of this crap

Hence x300 worth more thanx308

Both great but the 300 is an army tank

The 308 a delicate girlfriend on the side😀

With love

Gtjoey and happy to help

…shapely, attractive and a monster performer…

Wonderful!
Enjoy the ride!
Gtjoey13-4