2003 S-type purchase

Hi there!

I am now looking at a 2003 S-type with the 4.2 V8, priced about $600.00 below Kelly Blue Book value.
It has only 64K miles, seller is the daughter of the second owner, her father, now deceased.
She says the AC doesn’t blow cold air. She thinks it just needs to be recharged, but has no evidence to support that opinion.
If it needs to be recharged, I would assume that would also mean there are leaks that have to be repaired. At this low mileage, what other issues might be at work here?
Thanks for your help!
Michael

Depends whether it’s blowing hot all the time or the cold just isn’t cold enough. If the latter, it might just need re-gassing. That was all that was wrong with mine. Refrigerant gas seems to leak out eventually. I’ve read the hot all the time problem can be due to the motorised water valve failing but I haven’t had that one yet.

Eric

Shropshire, UK

Yes, the Dual Climate Control Valve. I’ve replaced mine twice, because the first time I chose a cheap aftermarket version and it only lasted a year and a half. Second time chose the original Motorcraft product. My experience is written up in the archives of this forum.
It could also be that the DCCV is not getting an electrical signal to operate. It is just two solenoids, so check fuses and relays.
Mine had a broken wire at the plug-in connector, tricky to fix but I managed it and it should be ok as long as I don’t pull on it too hard like I did the first time. I hate a problem caused by the Dreaded Present Owner.

Hi there!
Thank you both for your input regarding the AC. It sounds to me that I shouldn’t let the AC issue stop me from buying the car, as long as the price is right. Especially since I have you guys to help me fix it. :slight_smile:
Thanks again!
Michael