2004 XJ8 Fuel Injector Replacement

I recently obtained a 2004 XJ8 which is now just nudging over 100k miles. On a recent long distance trip, I got the dreaded “restricted performance” error message on the way home. When I scanned for OBD-II trouble codes on return, I found misfiring on cylinder 7. I pulled the injector and coil and replaced them, with the code and error message eliminated. A short time after that I replaced all the other coils and all spark plugs.

But it brought to mind the question as to the condition of the other seven injectors. I’m unfamiliar with what should be the normal life of fuel injectors for this Jag and am wondering if, from a maintenance standpoint, they all should be changed out at this point. If so, has anyone used reconditioned injectors or do you have a particular brand of new or reconditioned you favor.

Has anyone had any luck with running any of the injector cleaners through their fuel systems–Techron’s or LiquiMoly’s? Any benefit to that? I know that on my F-150, the fuel gauge in one of the tanks stopped working after I added Techron following a fill and this appeared to be a regular problem with that particular model of fuel pump, based on forum comments. Any issues with use of injector cleaners in the Jag?

Regards,
Tom Golodik

My mechanic said “don’t do it”, as it can damage the injectors.

Grahame: Thanks for the reply and advice from your mechanic. I’ve had such mixed advice pro and con that I’m a bit torn and thus the query. Haven’t heard much specific about their use in the later Jags so I’m being conservative at this time.

Regards,
Tom

Two things; 1) I would judge the condition of the other injectors by the one you pulled. If it looked dodgy I’d replace the other 7. Don’t waist your money on stuff that may or may not work and that you have no idea if it is. I sometimes think these magic fluids are placebos. 2) You are on the wrong forum. You should be on the X300 forum. You’ll find a wider array of knowledge about your car there. I had an XJ6; loved it.

Graham: Thanks for the heads up. I’m on my way over there now.

Tom