2004 XJR Instrumentation Control Module

Hi,
A few times in the past month or two, I lost my tach and speedometer, but after restarting every thing seemed to be OK. Yesterday the same thing happened but this time all warning lights, same as when you first turn on the key to check that they all work, came on, and this time also included the MIL.
I checked with a code reader and found the 1638 code, and reference to the Instrumentation Control Module.
Checking the archives here it hopefully is a loose or bad cable/connection. I don’t have a clue where to start.
I have the factory service manual PDF but haven’t found it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wayne

Is that a Jaguar specific code or generic? I would suspect the CKPS or it’s associated wiring first.

Hi Wayne,

I’ve sent you the two relevant TSBs that cover this error.

Chris C

WM2526@aol.com wrote:

Hi Wayne,

I’ve sent you the two relevant TSBs that cover this error.

Chris C

WM2526@aol.com wrote:

The tech bulletin you sent describes my problem perfectly. I will study the instructions and either fix it my self or have someone help me.

Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful response, Great forum.

Wayne

Chris,
I gave the ;tech bulletin to my tech and he cleaned/checked the connections as indicated. Tightened the joints, and all seems OK. He said the instrument panel might need to be replaced. But it’s been working ok, only had one problem losing the tach, but then it was fine on restart.

Long way to say thanks again for sending me the bulletins.

Enjoy,
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

glad to here that it all worked out.

It was a stroke of luck that I was looking through the TSBs the day
before your query and remembered seeing one describing your symptoms :slight_smile:

Chris C

WM2526@aol.com wrote:

Chris,
Maybe you can give me some advice on my 04 XJR. I love everything about the car: Quick, Racing Green, Sounds fabulous, (I think it’s stock), and cosmetically at least a 9.5.

My issues are, the rear end whines slightly. I replaced the lube with a thicker lube, had it checked with a scope and all looked good inside, so it is a live-able condition, The electrical connections that you just helped me with, (which seem to come and go), and finally a few weeks ago, we had our first frost. The car was kind of iced up and when I started it as normal, put it in reverse and it slipped. Forward it was weak but OK. I waited a little and tried again. eventually (5 min or less) it worked ok, and I set off for a few hundred mile trip without incident. It’s been fine since, but when it is cold I notice it’s a little sluggish or slightly slipping.
a few days ago I lost the tach again, but when you turn it off and restart it comes back on.

So I have three issues. 1.) Rear end whine, kind of OK. (Thanks to the great stereo.)
2.) Electrical connections???
3.) the trans issue. (the previous owner said he changed the fluid within the last 10K miles)
Since it only happens on startup in cold weather, I’m not too concerned. the car will be stored in a week or so until spring.

Over the weekend I decided to sell my “Green Hornet” and put an ad on Autotrader. There are no replacements right now, but I’m wondering if I am being to quick to give up on a beautiful car.
Oh… it has 74K miles.

If I upgrade to an '08-09, I will probably find some issues again, and several thousands later be doing the same thing. So if I keep this one, and nurse it–it really is a beauty, is it worth spending a few more thousand to keep it going?

Hope you don’t mind my taking advantage of your kindness.

Thanks,
Wayne

PS. Here is my ad:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=470000593&zip=33102&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D33102%26startYear%3D2004%26maxMileage%3D75000%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceDESC%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2005%26modelCodeList%3DJAGXJR%26makeCodeList%3DJAG%26searchRadius%3D0&startYear=2004&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2005&modelCodeList=JAGXJR&makeCodeList=JAG&searchRadius=0

Hi Wayne,

not much I can add here. On my X300, it was easy to change the diff oil
and Jaguar recommended to do that every 30,000 miles.
The X300 diff has a drain hole underneath, which means that any crud
will drain out along with the oil. On the X350 diff there is
no drain hole and you have to suck the oil out via the filler hole, no
doubt leaving any crud behind and thus shortening the life of the bearings.
With regular diff oil changes, my X300 diff is still good at 320,000 miles.

I’m no expert on automatic transmissions, but again on the X300 it was
easy to change the oil, again at 30,000 mile intervals. The X350
is a lot more involved and so I let an independent Jaguar workshop do my
X350 using ZF parts. I have not heard of X350 gearboxes slipping,
although the torque convertor is a known problem area. Maybe worth
having the the oil level checked as the gearbox is very sensitive to
having the
correct oil level.

Apart from the known issue with the connector in the TSB, I have not
heard of any other problems with electrical connections except for the 3
earth studs at the front corroding. I checked mine a few weeks ago by
removing and cleaning the earthing cable connectors and studs and after
reassembling
giving them a coat of grease. There was only a little bit of corrosion
on some of the earthing cable connectors.

HTH
Chris C

WM2526@aol.com wrote:

Chris, Thanks, you have given me a few things to think about. I don’t know what you mean by the three earth connectors and studs.

Enjoy, and thanks for taking the time to read my worries.
Wayne