2005 S type Key Fob Problems

Good morning everyone,

I recently purchased a beautiful 2005 S type. It runs and drives wonderfully but the keys that came with it are problematic. Both keys work in the ignition and the trunk (boot). Neither work when inserted in the door. I’m not sure if they insert fully of not but they definitely do not turn or open the door. Cleaning and lubricating the insertion hole have not helped. Any suggestions or solutions?

More concerning, neither fobs have buttons that work flawlessly. I have to press the buttons very hard, they only function within a foot or two of the car, and sometimes don’t work at all. The door unlock function is worst. I changed the batteries to no avail. I took them apart and cleaned the buttons but it only helped slightly. They do seem to be quite worn, especially one fob. Any suggestions? Do I just need to buy new? Used? Do I have to get them reprogrammed at the dealer or do some offer it privately?

I’d like to get these fixed before the day comes that neither work. :slight_smile:

Welcome Colin, need to refer you to the S Type group on this list - usually a bit further down. This Saloons group was closed out in about 1968 with the cars that pre date the XJ6. Paul.

Welcome Colin, I have taken the liberty of moving the post the the relevant forum, have you changed the batteries? That’s the first thing I would do.

Thanks, yes I did change the batteries. I’ll edit the post to reflect that.

Thanks Paul, I’ll do that.

Be sure to use the correct batteries, not equivalent types.
How did you lubricate the locks?, graphite powder is the only way, everything else will just gum up the tumblers. If you don’t think the key goes in far enough just give it a gentle tap to see if it goes in further. Bare in mind if it has got a sticky tumbler it might make it hard to get the key back out.

Thanks, I will try graphite

I used graphite with no change. If successful, I have attached a photo showing how little I can insert the key in the door (only about 1/2”). By contrast, the key inserts completely to the black plastic fob in the boot (trunk) and the ignition.

I had this on my Rover, I had to give it a tap to get the key to go right in. getting it back out was a faff.