2006 XJ8 alarm sounding off intermittantly

First, not sure if this section of the forum covering the X350 (first of the aluminum bodied, air suspended sedans) but a friend has a 2007 XJ8 and the alarm intermittently goes off for no particular reason. It can be shut off with the remote when this happens every few weeks. Any ideas what might be the reason for this?

John Quilter
(over from the saloons forum)

Hi John, I had a similar experience with my 2003 S-type, but whenever it happened, I got a message that the passenger door was open. The door was closed, and replacement of the door latch assy cured it. Does your friend get a message when the alarm is triggered?
Mike

Thanks for your response, Mike. I have questioned my friend. Where exactly did the message you got appear?

John Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Hi John, on my S-type, the alert messages appear on the screen where the odometer, fuel consumption etc. are displayed.
Mike

Hi John, I have a 2005 XJ8L that did that!.I oiled the bonnet latch inner cable, as well as the actual latch below the leaper.I think this allowed the bonnet to just a little lower, thus not interfering with the alarm switch!

My 2005 VDP just started the same trick… Haven’t pinned down yet, however, I will try the above tips and see how it goes! P.S. one thing I noticed is that it happens most when locking the car using the Fob. Hardly ever happens when I use the Key in the door to lock… hmmm

You can usually dig deep into modules with WDS, IDS AutoLogic, etc. to search for LAST ALARM ACTIVATION Look at the SLCM or FEM or REM to see what fault is logged.

bob