2019 Cascades Oil Leak begins tomorrow

The 9th annual Oil Leak starts tomorrow in Hood River, Oregon. Follow the trip on the blog at Cascade Oil Leak Blog

enjoy…20

I just might have to attend the 10th Anniversary one!

Have fun all! I am sitting home wishing I could have joined this one - still waiting to get my motor back. :frowning:

2 Likes

Eagerly awaiting the next blog update!

There should be an update later this evening. Monday night was spent at the Paradise Inn in the Mt Rainer National Park with no cell phone or internet access, so not opportunity to post the blog. I hope to get around to updating for 2 days-worth later this evening.

2 Likes

Another great day of sights and driving today. The Blog will tell the story but I’ll just add my thanks to David for putting this together.

Damn, that looked like a dreadful day. Hope everyone’s windshield wipers passed the test.

A brake caliper completely broke free? I’ve never heard of that happening. Did an ear shear off the caliper yoke, or ears brake off of the caliper pot? How could it be rigged for driving again?

1 Like

An ear was broken off the caliper body allowing the fluid to drain out around the piston. The brake line to that side was cut and clamped so only one front brake was working on the owner’s drive back home and bring another car later that night. Fortunately, the owner lived in Oregon. See blog for photos and more details.

Pun intended? :laughing:

Good question, Erica. I got there late and didn’t see what actually transpired. Maybe we will learn more later.

LLoyd (but the, ewe no, I are just a rithmetician)

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

That’s interesting, I guess under sufficient pressure the caliber bore can distort enough to allow fluid to pass. Impressive that the pipe could be compressed enough to staunch the flow. I’d have thought that plugging the pipe orifice on the remaining caliper with another nipple would be needed. That would probably be a sensible spare to carry.

I’d guess that after being braked on just one side it will probably be necessary to replace the disk and maybe even the caliper bracket in the even that it bent under the pressure.

I’m relieved it didn’t lead to an accident!

Ahhhh… thanks Drew. Now it all makes sense.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

New wipers on mine just before we left home. But today Washington redeemed itself and gave us perfect driving weather and beautiful smooth and twisty roads.

1 Like