24 HR of Lemans results

LMP1 : Toyota
LMP2 : Oreca Racing
GTE Pro : Porsche “Pink Pig”
GTE Am : Porsche (Dempsey racing)
My beloved Ferrari’s did okay (6th and 3th in respective class).

Marco

I could find nothing on myTV, to view it: too lazy to go online.

Glad to hear Porker brought a moden Pink Pig! Was it as wide as it was long?

:pig::pig::pig:

:grinning: Nope , just a wee smaller 911and no BBQ sauce…

1 Like

It was on the Velocity channel. Very good coverage. Velocity will be covering the full WEC 2018 -2019 Super Season schedule as well.

Can’t get Velocity on my Roku: tried.

No biggie… it’s all on the intertubes!

Yes, this was race 2 of 4 or 5 , ending in November.

Velocity thru Euro TV aired the entire 24hrs !! Some wild driving in the first half hour…(oddly)…with risk in passing. Then they settled in. But in the last few laps, in tired cars and tired drivers…but a cool and rubbery track they were setting fastest laps and personal best. Best feat by Toyota was to be able to get 1st Pl, and 2nd Pl which was a lap behind…together 1-2 for the last lap and checker…most dangerous event of race was the man who stood out in the middle of track to wave the checker. great looking cars !! great lookin VIP ladies in the garages.
Nick

the porker was pretty quick. watched it on a web site from the Neatherlands. Ford had good coverage from their in car cams. used to watch Le Mans 24 on Wide world of sports with Jim Mckay when Stirling Moss was still racing

I kept waiting, hoping, for the Porsche’s to make a mistake or suffer a mechanical failure. Sadly they didn’t; dammit. :smiley:

I watched most of it off an on until 7 hours remaining and then recorded the rest. Any highlights I should look for in those last 7 hours?

Watched the first few hours and the last two. During the last two the leading Toyota unexplainably slowed down to a crawl but then got back up to speed…

Official story is that the driver missed the pit lane and went around one more time. The crew was afraid he would run out of fuel and put the car into (fuel saving, slow) pit lane mode with a key stroke from a laptop… Unbelievable how far modern technology has come.

Toyota went for the distance record (currently in Audi’s hands, after a couple of decades on the name of a Porsche 917), but couldn’t beat it due to the number of slow zones / yellow flags.

What I like about Le Mans is that the team effort counts, i.e. the car brands, and that the driver is only a contributor to that team effort. This is unlike F1, where the drivers are treated as gods.

1 Like

Well, its the same in F1 but the team and other driver are barely acknowledged…
I’d like to see the Audi’s and Porsches back in LMP1 for a 3 way brawl with the Toyota’s ! My money in on the Porsches.

Agreed, that’s what I meant to say. It reminds me of the disney movie ‘cars’, where in the beginning the hot shot is full of himself, but gradually learns that one needs a team to win races
:racing_car::racing_car::1st_place_medal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRFagIbcPE anyone that has not seen this should

Perfect analogy.

Sweet !

Marco

HOLY COW…a D type ride with all kinds of bicycles, carts, cars, on the “track”…let alone the complete lack of any side barriers and all the roadside trees etc…SCARY ride !!

If you’re interested in Porsche and LeMans, here’s a very nice video about the history of the company and cars and of course their participation in racing…and actually has minimal Jag content…you have to listen for it though.

And my daily e-mail from Hemmings says the 1966 Le Mans third place GT40 is going on the auction block in August. Sigh