2R 1971 6 cylinder etypes

A link:

Very nice and well documented too. I’m sure this will be hard for you but good luck with the auction.

Never mind. Apparently OTS production in 1970 was slower than I imagined.

Mine is 2PR14039 (120 after yours) and built in August 1970.

Dear Sir, May ask where this tag is located on the car. Evidently mine is missing.

Thanks

David Farley

Here’s an ‘establishing shot’. The driver’s side door jamb.

Note, the pictures showing an extra ‘P’ prefix before the ‘2R’ prefix denotes that the E-type is fitted with Power Steering;

But another photo showing location of this USA market only FEDERAL REGULATIONs compliance plate, also a late build OTS, but no Power Steering…

Its all relative Lloyd. All USA Market cars post the start of the 1968 USA Federal Regulations, as quickly identified by having twin-Stromberg Carburetters, are significantly detuned relative to the E-types sold into all other UK home and Rest-of-World Export Markets (such as Australia) that still maintained their Triple SU HD8 carburetters. This had to be done to allow compliance with the new and evolving emissions rules as first introduced in USA and indeed was a huge part of the delay in introducing the V12 E-type, and thus the continued sales of Series 2 E-types in late 1970 and early 1971.

But if you are talking just USA Market E-types, the increasingly stringent Federal Safety and Emissions Regulations were revised/implented on an annual basis, thus the legally required additional Federal Regulations plaque certifying what level of Regulations the particular E-type complied, and indeed with USA Market E-types you got a revised Owners Handbook to suit each yeras Regulations vehicle complied with, as there was a legal expectation on the maintenance of the Emissions Control Systems. .

But without researching the detail, the annual changes were incremental, and not necessarily equal steps… (I used to know all the detail of the USA Regulations, being a Principal Engineer in the Australian Regulatory equivalent body, so our local Safety/Emissions Rules (ADRs) had to understand/recognize whether primarily the International (ECE) Regulations were acceptable equivalents - always with one exception - or whether the unique local USA (FMVSS) Federal Regulations were acceptable equivalents - sometimes, and usually OK with Emissions Regulations albeit DIFFERENT - not better, not worse, just DIFFERENT, or whether the local Japanese (JIS) Regulations were acceptable equivalents - rarely)

Russ, without doing a bit of research, of the top of my head I am pretty sure Jaguar started to build E-types to the USA 1971MY Federal Regulations in April/May 1970, so you would have to assume/allow some teething and documentation Approval problems/delays, so your car would seem most certainly one of the earliest 2R prefix certified cars built. And being so early maybe the paperwork did initially show the more usual 1R prefix, but physically as part of the regulatory compliance the Picture-Frame Stamping, the Identification Plate Stamping and the Federal Regulations Compliance Plate stamping would assuredly always been stamped 2R, and with no changes/alterations (It was a USA Legal requirement that Jaguar was compelled to get right).

But also bear in mind cars for the USA market with a 2R prefix were made on the assembly line intermixed with other Series 2 E-types destined for all other world markets, including of course home market UK sales, and all these cars would have still retained a 1R prefix CAR (CHassis) Number, so without access to Jaguar Heritage Trust manufcaturing records, the next car built ?R14852 may have been another 2R or maybe a 1R. The Serial Number continued in sequence regardless of whether 2R or 1R prefix (the R of course denoting Series 2 E-type)

Geo asks… “LLoyd - Are you sure about that date?”

Mine has the same plate, dated also 8-70. But that is the “dispatch date”, when it left the factory for its overseas destination. So it is a bit of a misnomer.
If you get the Heritage Certificate, it will indicate the actual date that the car rolled off of the assembly line, in my case, May 28, 1970 ( I keep thinking it was May 25th as it is my daughters birthday, oooop’s)
If you remember George Cohn (who ran the list about a century ago…) his car is a couple hundred numbers lower than mine, but is designated a 1970, and has an assembly date of around May 15th of '70.
The assembly date and dispatch date are different, but I believe the company put the dispatch date and called it the built date so that when you purchase the car you can say, “Hay, look here, it was built last Thursday!”.
LLoyd

Society has discovered discrimination as the great social weapon by which one may kill men without any bloodshed.
Hannah Arendt

Hi Russ / Roger, I also have a series 2 FHC. It is posted as an October 1970 build but registered as a 1971. The Chassis number on my car is 2R 28477

mytype - 2R28477 is getting close to the last Series 2 FHC made - the actual last being 2R28786 built in October 1970 albeit I dont have information on exact date. (The last Series 2 OTS built was 2R14853 also built in October 1970 )
Do you have exact date-of-manufacture/ built date of 2R28477 ?

But as before, we are talking about actual Date car was actually built (Date-of-manufacture), which of course is the only date that matters when you want to talk about originality and exact build specification. For USA Regulatory Purposes, all these American market only cars with a 2R prefix are built and certified by Jaguar as 1971 Model Years cars, the salesman market and sell them as 1971 cars, and in USA they get registered as 1971 cars regardless of actual physical date of registration which of course can vary a small period or a large period after the actual date of manufacture… But nice to see a 2R FHC…as well as earlier OTS, noting there were no 2+2 built with 2R prefix (1971MY specification), the last 2+2 being built in July 1970 being 1R36041 (RHD) and 1R44287 (LHD)

It was mentioned earlier about detail of these final run of 1971MY (2R prefix) E-types being somewhat transitional in build leading up to Series 3…

Could any/all of these 2R owners help please with a detailed research project I am working on continuously.
Can anyone please supply some good quality photos of their JACK, the Container their Jack is housed within, and indeed photos of any other tools that came with their car, noting what is there will vary for cars fitted with wire wheels versus those fitted with turbo disc wheels from new. But there may be a Hammer and Hub Cap tool, and/or Wheel Brace and Hub-Cap lever, and a box-spanner and Tommy Bar. And please send to me direct at:- rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au (if too much obscure information/photos for this forum). And please, advice or photo of what your Jacking Points under the car are like - are they typical 1R prefix Series 2, or are they typical 1S prefix Series 3 V12 style, noting its possible OTS may differ from FHC, albeit unlikely…

I’m a long-time lurker, but I thought this topic fitting for my first post. I bought a beautiful silver 1971 FHC about a year ago, 2R28778. Date of manufacture according to Heritage certificate October 21, 1970. It is the last Series II on xkedata.com. She came with extensive documentation and history with a 40 year ownership by a lady in the PNW.

1 Like

PNW??? 20 more characters

Pacific North West… ?

My apologies gents, yes, Pacific Northwest. Washington state to be exact. We are (as a friend says) people separated by a common language.

I have a 71 OTS 2R 14451 - date built 17 Aug 1970, date dispatched 28 Aug 1970 per Heritage Cert. I installed an original ac setup from a pallet full of components restored by George Camp, the PO had retrofitted triple SUs with racing tubes, but with help from George we fit the correct canister filter for the SUs. This year hope to get the diff to Dick Maury for ratio change to get a little closer to ROW setup. Dick already rebuilt the distributor and added vacuum advance to suit the SUs. Otherwise the car is pretty authentic 71 American delivery car, still has most of the regulatory stickers/ plaques (except on the air cleaner)

Hi I own 2R28477 and have done for 35 years, pix attached

1 Like

Hello everyone - I have a very late 2R LHD coupe 4 speed, 10/1970 production. Probably within 150 chassis numbers of the final 6-cyl car. It came with PS, AC, and radio as many others did at that time, and most 2+2s did for the final couple of years. AC was dealer installed, maybe PS too…not sure about that. Clearly a transition car between 6-cyl and V-12s, which all had PS and AC. I like all E-Types, prefer open-headlight cars, and while a Series 2 would not have been my first choice when looking for an E-Type…this one reached out and grabbed me. Primrose with saddle tan interior, no rust, same owner since the mid-1980s.

Oh yea - AC removed and saved for next owner if she/he wants to return to as-delivered condition.

Hi,

Maybe for America, but not ROW, my 1972 V12 OTS #1S20183 obviously has PS but never AC nor any smog gear, air pumps, gulp valves nor carbon cannisters.

Also all Continental European deliveries I know were without AC, I am sure it was available but most folks over here thought it was expensive and unnecessary. YMMV.

Cheers!