3 1/2 Litre engine part recommendations?

Hi,

Thank you for that;: i will have to recheck, but I think when I looked at my CAD model that the groove was at least twice that wide, like 0.090 ish, circa 3/32" ?

Cheers!

If it is 90 thou then your idea of two rings would be fine assuming that the rings are not prevented from rotating by the outer housing.

Peter

Dear All
In regards to parts, are there any members that can advise if there is an online copy of the MKV (MK5) spare parts catalogue available.
Thank you.
Regards
David

I have a spare ORIGINAL… complete with all exc pages, but covers are reproduction…
if interested - contact me direct email… rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au

Roger

Hello David, the Mark V spare parts catalogue and service manual both may be found for sale online. The versions sold may be copies or originals. There also are portable document file (pdf) versions produced by Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust about 15 years ago in compact disk (CD) format. I have not seen the JDHT pdf versions online, but I own a JDHT CD.

I’m a little unclear about whether providing a copy of the JDHT CD pdf versions violates English copyright. There is a fair use doctrine which allows copying for the purpose of quoting and also for computational analysis. Copying so one may quote a part number seems like fair use to me, but I am not an English lawyer.

It is quite useful to have both the service manual and a spare parts catalogue. The spare parts catalog came in two versions, first in 1949 and revised in 1958. The 1958 revision contains more information than the 1949 version, though the 1949 version is way better than not having one at all.

Dear Roger Payne and Roger McWilliams
Thank you for your quick replies, greatly appreciated.
I have researched the JDHT site and those Cd’s seem no longer available.
I have managed to find a copied printed version of the Service Manual, purchased and should be arriving soon. Parts catalogue has been more elusive.
I would very much like to have a CD or USB version of both documents, I do most of the work on our cars and find these are essential.
If I may, I will contact you off line.
Best Regards
David Hughes

Hi,

There were different iterations of that, the latest I have allows searching / index, but has disabled printing, at least on macOS, perhaps printing would be possible on Windows. Also it has copy protection / authentication system, so making a copy would not work either.

Having an original one would be good anyways, as the JHT scans are far from perfect, even more so regarding the Service manual where many of the originally nice photos and illustrations are almost impossible to see well from the CD. But I like the earlier CD just for the fact I could print pages and have them at hand in the garage and keep the original book smear free in the living room. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ps. SNGB has many (not all) of the spare parts plates on their web pages for browsing. :+1:

Hello Pekka T.
Thank you for your message.
Another member kindly supplied an online version for me.
Best Regards
David

1 Like

Hi,

Just copying over, I think I need to further experiment with engine oil options. My valves have no seals, only new guides.

Cheers!

Hi Pekka, I rebuilt my Mark V engine in the original configuration without valve seals. All guide clearances were done to the factory specification. After about 5,000 miles the engine began to have exhaust smoke at traffic stops after about 20 minutes of running.

Presently, I have the engine out to replace chipped tooth in transmission. While the engine is out, I have had valve seals installed. Not back together yet, so nothing to report on result when driving.

1 Like

Hi Roger,

Yes, I will also report back regarding if oil type will affect the problem and oil pressure or not. Today I was happy with oil pressure, but once started hot again there was some oil burnt in the exhaust. (Some blue-grey exhaust smoke) Now running full-synthetic 5W-30.

Cheers!

Excellent stuff! I’ve been running on it for the last 12 years with good hot oil pressure. Running with it in the gearbox too.

Peter :+1:

1 Like

Hi,

This is an old thread, but incidentally I will be in Miami for a bit over a week. Starting next Tuesday. :slight_smile:

So if anyone has a clip suitable for this application, either an old part or some new replacement that would work, I would appreciate it. I can use PayPal to compensate on shipping cost and parts.

Cheers!

Ps. PM for address and any details. :+1:

Is it a snap ring you are looking for, like this?

I looked but was not able to find a tach/oil pump drive shaft, but I know I have one somewhere in the barn.
I found the spiral gear and it has a 1/2" shaft. If the tach/oil shaft is also 1/2", then I imagine the snap ring is about 7/16" ID. I have some here that are .423" ID and .039" thick.

I’ll look for the shaft again tomorrow, so we can confirm the size.

Hi Rob,

I have the shaft in the car and I have measured and 3D modelled it carefully, the measures and drawing were in this thread earlier, I’ll quote it here again once I find it. Thank you.

Cheers!

Hi,

That’s the ones I have been tryimg to order. It’s not wide enough, but two of them side by side should be good as long as they are free to rotate, right?

Hmm… good question.

Maybe?

I found the shaft, it is .497" diameter, and the groove is .422" diameter and .091" wide.
So I think two snap rings should work fine.
I can send you some.

There is a collar that goes on above the circlip ring and has a groove in it that the original circlip ring fit inside. You would have to check that the new snap ring ears don’t stick up too far and prevent the collar sitting down where it should. File them down if they do.

I found the original ring, broken, but it is .080" thick.
It looks like a helical lock washer that was stretched out. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could do the same to a 3/8" or 8mm helical lock washer, flatten it, trim the ends and snap it on.

1 Like