3 1/2 Litre Mark V Bell Housing Bolt count?

The Spare Parts Catalogue lists 10 bolts for the bell housing to engine on page 26:
FB.105/20D Bolt, securing Bell Housing to Rear Engine Plate
FN.105/L Nuts on Bolts
FG.105/X Washer, Spring, under Nuts

All of my bell housings match the drawing on plate H for
C.700/1 Housing, Bell, for Clutch Unit R.15

My assembly also uses 3 studs at the top of the bell housing, perhaps these are found on page 13
FT.105/23H along with OD.106/8H Dowel (for alignment)?
In the Service Manual page B.45 Plate B.35 the 3 studs show as I have used them in the past along with the alignment dowel.

Here is my quandry. There are 11 bolt holes (not 10) which accept FB.105/20D bolts. Plus, I have not found the call out for washers and nuts on the 3 studs. I am using the same specification washers and studs as for the β€œ10” bolts. What is the reason for 11 bolt holes and shall I use 11 instead of 10?

Is one of the holes for a locating dowel?

Two dowels, three studs.
We should be cautious about assuming the SPC is always right.
e.g. No mention of nuts and lock washers for those studs.

2 Likes

This picture shows the single dowel at top, three studs where bolts are not possible, three holes for starter bolts, and eleven holes for bolts. Use all eleven or which ten of the eleven and why?

1 Like

From memory I think one of the bolts is slightly larger in diameter, probably #8 in the photo.

Perhaps you have guided understanding. Indeed, hole β€œ8” on my photo is larger diameter than the others with red numbers. On two bell housings I measure it to be about 0.372" diameter. That is right in the middle of 3/8" bolt shank specifications and is much larger than 5/16" bolts would take.

I wonder if the hole β€œ8” is for right-hand drive usage. My experience is with left-hand drive only. There are two parts listed on page 26 of the Spare Parts Catalogue:
C.655 Fulcrum for Clutch Pedal
C.2824 Stop, Pedal, Assembly
Do any of the parts in these two listings use hole β€œ8” ?

Roger
I am only familiar with RHD, clutch pedal stop uses a starter motor hole & clutch pedal fulcrum is off the gearbox. I posted a query re clutch pedal in 2017 β€œMk1V Clutch Pedal Mechanism” which may be worth searching.
Peter