3.4L XK engine from my 1957 MK VIII is Back

The 3.4L XK engine from my 1957 MK VIII returned home today after a professional rebuild at a respected San Diego machine shop. They installed new pistons, new main bearings, new camshaft bearings, and a whole lot more. They said that the 69K mile engine was in very good shape despite sitting for 45 years. Here are some pictures of how it looks today in my garage:

I already have the rebuilt generator and rebuilt starter on hand, and the rebuilt SU carburetors were shipped today. I also have the correct enamel paint for the cylinder head.
Over the next month or two I plan to build up the engine on my engine test stand with the goal of running the engine and DG250 transmission outside the car with full cooling and engine instruments prior to installing them in the car. I will post more pictures as I make progress.

Paul

Christmas is early this year​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

The polished brass screws and frost plugs look great.
I changed the orig transmission to a T-700 with OD on 4th, via a kit from John´s Cars in TX. Made it very comfortable to drive, at all speeds.

1 Like

Peder,
Yes, Christmas did come a little early. :slight_smile:

I recently sold my two Series III XJ6 Vanden Plas and I am using the proceeds from those sales, plus my eBay sales from my three Series III XJ6 parts cars to help offset some of these expensive rebuilds and pay for new parts.
My goal is to get my MK VIII running as originally designed after sitting for 45 years. I may modify some things as I go like I have on my other Jaguars. But for now I am sticking with stock equipment as long as it works. I have two spare DG250s just in case the original one has problems after it’s long slumber. I hope to find that out when I run the engine and transmission on my engine test stand.

Paul

Nice clean engine , don’t forget to replace the nuts , block too cylinder head :+1:

You mean the biggest, domed ones ? What can go wrong with them over 45yrs of rest time ?!
You don’t mean chrome quality … ?

He means the 6 small ones at the front. Not the acorn nuts. They are not installed yet. Looking forward to the final result with the head painted, etc.

2 Likes

Easy overlooked , I forgot to replace the engine earth :grin:

1767a700aa140ab5188eff438d4af6591ef28c37_2_421x7501

1 Like

Ian,
Good eyes!

Thanks for the reminder about those 6 nuts at the front of the block.
When I removed the cylinder head from the block several years ago to inspect the block, pistons, and underside of the cylinder head, I bagged up those nuts and washers separately for safe keeping (along with many other parts) and labeled them. They were among the many new and clean used parts that I provided the machine shop in separately labeled bags and storage boxes, but for some reason they did not install them. I plan to call them early next week about this and a few more small questions that I have. There were a few more items that I gave them that they didn’t install on the engine, like the coolant spigot at the left rear of the block. But maybe they left that off to avoid possible breakage prior to delivery back to me?
I hope to mate the DG250 and torque converter to the block today and then place the engine and transmission onto my engine test stand to facilitate the remainder of my reassembly work. The engine test stand allows me to work on engines at a convenient and safe working height and roll it around if needed. I will provide more picture updates of my progress in the coming weeks.
Yesterday I inspected many of the other parts that I have on hand and ready for installation, and I can’t wait to see how it will look after I paint the head and install the professionally polished camshaft covers that look absolutely amazing.

Paul

I mated the torque converter and rest of the DG250 transmission to my rebuilt 3.4L XK engine yesterday and put them on my engine test stand last night. These pictures show how everything looks right now before I paint the head and start installing the rebuilt generator, rebuilt starter, and rebuilt carburetors. My test stand has a fuel tank, a battery tray, provisions for a radiator, and an instrument panel. I plan to run the engine on the test stand to verify that it operates properly and all the gauges and transmission function before installing the engine in my 1957 MK VIII, hopefully this summer.

Note that I installed the six nuts at the front of the head left off by the rebuilder that were the subject of previous posts.

Paul

1 Like

You don’t have any way to load test the tranny, I take it?

Paul,
I am not sure how I would “load test the tranny”. Can you elaborate on that?
Remember that I am not a professional mechanic but just a DIY hobbiest that doesn’t know my limits. :grinning:

Paul

1 Like

Beautiful. Who’s rebuilding the carbs?

Start the engine slap it into gear then just grab the tail shaft :partying_face:

Mel,
I got my rebuilt S.U. carbs back today from Dana Britton of SUCARBS.COM in Wichita, Kansas. So far I am very pleased.

I have no affiliation with Dana Britton or SUCARBS.COM other than as a satisfied customer. BTW I got price quotes and timelines from a few rebuilders and decided to go with Dana. So far I am very pleased with the value. The proof in the pudding will be how they work.

Paul

1 Like

Robin,
Yep, that is exactly what I was planning to do. :grinning:

Paul

Kinda a crude Prony brake…:grimacing:

So far, they look fabulous. Good luck!

Nice workshop , thinking outside the box , could you not make a mounting , and bolt the Axle to the gearbox , would be a way of testing the Axle too, and you could use the brakes to load the gearbox. :thinking:
Would just have to move your gauge mount to the side , and fuel tank up a little

1 Like

Ian,
Thank you for the suggestions. I have much to think about as I get ready to run the engine and transmission on my engine test stand. The instrument panel, battery tray, and fuel tank trays are all easily moved. I plan to install the carbs, the exhaust manifold and downpipes so the final setup is still being worked. I have two spare IRSs from my Series III XJ6 parts cars so I suppose that I could somehow mount one of those on jack stands, bolt it up to the propeller shaft, and try to run the SIII XJ6 rear wheels with the engine and DG250. But that would clearly be after I am satisfied that the engine and DG250 appear to work properly alone.

Paul

1 Like