3.5 liter Mk. IV Engine issues

Dear All
Recently joined this forum and keen to learn more.
I would be very grateful for any information on where to source the most suitable head gasket for the 3.5 litre MKIV engine.
Thank you in anticipation.
Regards, David Hughes

Thank yew, Pastor Ed.

Reading to us now, from The Book of Lyons, will be Rob Reilly…:grimacing:

St Paul wise words indeed. and Father Bob will doubtless agree with you.
It is said that the head gasket itself while being better for being thinner, but that won’t produce a miracle cure if other issues are present. such as the deck of the block not flat, dodgy inaccurate tension wrench etc.
Most of the good head gaskets sold world wide were made here by Dale Collet, who sadly died recent. The 1st Commandment is don’t ue copper asbestos gaskets. .Original factory gaskets were corrajoint shim gaskets.

Yea, verily. Don’t know if I can do a homily; from me you’re more likely to get fire and brimstone, or for this group maybe “The Pit of Smoke and Burning Oil” would be more appropriate. But there is forgiveness available if you confess the error of your torque wrench. :scroll:

1 Like

Without homily, one cannot make The Holy Posole.

Or, Corn Nuts.(c)

:grimacing:

Do the head and exhaust gaskets which are being marketed as ‘copper asbestos’ really contain asbestos or is it just a continuation of the old standard terminology? Asbestos is illegal to import into Aus and many countries so I assume they substitute it with some other stuff.

I suppose a greater rik than asbestosis using those gaskets is distorting the deck of the block.
Someone mentioned water leaks from head gaskets on the carbie side. THis is exacerbated by the ‘conversion’ from 2 1/2 litre to 3 1/2 deleting a row of head studs on that side. So the head hangs out that side
Solutions used have been getting head gaskets with crush rings put around all the holes in that side. After all, the original Corrajoint gaskets had crush rings around all the holes. Other wise Jim Wilson in Sydney used to put a piece f newspaper along the edge of the block before putting the head on, to give a it more crush there. JIm was also famous for his expression " are youse listening carefully , coz I’m only gonna tell you once"