3,5 MK4-ticking noise only when engine is hot and over 1400 rpm

Hallo Ed_Nantes! You are absolute correct -there are not right angles. If you see the Rockers all look same but they are not the same. If have corrected the order now of all my Rockers and now everything Looks like you wrote and the pushrods are correct in the middle of the holes. My rocker shaft is a new one from Worcester and also the bushes (2 separate each rocker) are new. The tappets screws are also new. I think the engine runs now better when is hot. The ticking Sound is better but not full away. Maybe its normal that the engine is not so silence when running faster. but when running with 800 rpm its absolute silence (Wonderful) and when 2000 or more it gets more noisy. The noise Comes from the rocker shaft area. The vaves clearance is correct. In the meantime I bought a second complete 3,5 litre pushrod engine with gearbox which was also overhauled in reserve. It is not easy to get such an engine in our Country and I think its good to have it.

My car is since some month at my mechanic. Yesterday he told me that he found that the bearing shells do not fit with the holes of the con rods. So I think I have the problem with wrong bearing Shells. He says that the rest of the engine looks like new - very good crankshaft and Pistons etc. Also the bearing Shells look good but have not correct fit with the holes or were changed. So the wrist pin gets no oil. In the Manuals I see that there are different conrods - C454 - C1049 - C2844 - C2448 . Maybe the bearing Shells were different. Has someone Pictures from the different con rods ?? Thanks for any Information.

Yes, that is correct that there are different bearing shells for the different con rods, some with holes centered and some with holes offset.
You can drill or file out the holes to match the rods. Be sure to file down any burrs left by the drilling.

Here is a C1049 aluminum rod with offset oil tube.

Here is the C1144 bearing shell for it with offset hole.

Here is the C2844 aluminum con rod with centered oil passage hole.

Here is the C1132 bearing shell for it with centered hole.

Here is the C2448 steel con rod, again with centered oil passage hole, which was used in late Mark V and XK120 and Mark VII.

Here is what happens if you put in the wrong bearing shells in an aluminum rod. The oil passage to the wrist pin is restricted. This would tend to reduce the oil supply at the wrist pin bearing. It may be more or less with other examples. I have only one example to photograph.

This error would have been very possible in the old days when these cars were being serviced at independent garages and the parts supply chain was not as well organized as it could have been.

My theory, impossible to test now, is that reduced oil at the wrist pin, especially at sustained high speed, would cause a drag on the swivel action there, which would induce a bending stress in the con rod, which would eventually lead to fatigue failure in the rod.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the Pictures. When we Change now the bearing Shells with the Right bearing Shells - the holes correct - do you think the wrist Pins will work correct or they will make Problems later ? Before finding that the engine worked 15 minutes very good and than the ticking noise begann. At that Moment mostly we stopped the engine. Is the wrist pin very liable to make mistakes ?

Are the rods removed from the car now?
If so, I would check to see that the oil hole in the top end is clear.

If not, at least see that they swing freely.

The engine is in the car. Only the oil sump is taken off and the Shell bearings are taken away.

I think you and your mechanic will be able to swing the rods and see if they move freely or if they feel sticky.