3.6 litre power steering pumps

Hi Kirbert,

I just pressed a piece of clay against the power steering shaft and added some clay prongs on the reverse side.

The photos show this very rough prototype. However I think it would be a very expensive piece to have made.

Basically it would have one coupler connecting to another. Maybe this could be a problem in itself.

I would be interested in your opinion of this plan though.

Adrian

That idea would probably work, but it’d be expensive to fab.

Perhaps you could post a photo of your existing forks? I understand one is broken, but you can set the pieces together for a pic.

The idea I’m pondering now is to make a fork that is broader across the middle, basically the earlier 4-tine idea except tying those two inner tines together. This would strengthen the fork in the area where I presume it broke.

BTW, I kinda presume your old fork will not fit the new rubber coupler. The slots don’t look the same. You’re gonna have to fab a fork. I think it’ll be pretty easy, though; just need to take a few measurements.

Hi Kirbert,

I have left the coupler with an engineering company at present so I have included a drawing
(which probably shows things more clearly anyway)

Are you suggesting joining the two metal bars in the centre where they cross at right angles to each other?

This would certainly make it a lot stronger but there are two problems with this.

1. How do you get them back into the polyurethane casing after they have been joined together.

2. The recess in the centre of the casing would have to be hollowed out to make a hole. With each bar in the casing, theoretically you
    could then weld the two bars together. But then how do you do that without melting the polyurethane casing?

Incidentally, a closer look at the slots on the drive do of the pump showed that they had noticeable wear, indicating that
it is highly likely the bar broke on the pump side.

Again Kirbert, thank you for your continued interest.

Regards

Adrian

Certainly not. Where would you get that idea?

Hi Kirbert,

RE: Are you suggesting joining the two metal bars in the centre where they cross at right angles to each other?

Sorry, I couldn’t quite visualise what you were suggesting so that was my interpretation.

Adrian