3.8 differential shim issue

One issue which will apply in only a few cases relative to the manual. I swapped all sorts of stuff around on our car which included bolt on hubs relative to this discussion. The “newer” style requires a different order for the seal, as it won’t clear the set up as indicated in the “old” shop manual procedure. Ask me how I know… Had to take the thing apart after doing everything to put the seal on. The old leather one apparently can be put on at a later stage with knock off, older style parts.

Thanks Dick. That information helps. And since I have my front up on jack stands I’ll check my fronts and adjust. You say to use slight preload on both the front wheel bearings and the rear wheel bearings, but what about the differential output bearings that Lynn is setting?

–Drew

Hello Drew,
The front wheel bearing arrangement is quite different to that of the rear. The rear wheel bearings are an interference fit on the shaft and therefore will resist rotation. The Front wheel bearings are a slight clearance fit on the stub axle and unless some method is used to lock the bearings in position to prevent them from spinning, its almost certain that they will spin if set up with Pre-load. This can be done by, as Aristides did, using a bearing mounting compound, obtain stub axles that are an interference fit with the bearings, or use a spacer between the inner and outer bearings. This last option allows the bearing retaining nut to be torqued up tight, therefore, clamping the bearings against the face of the vertical link.

The bearing arrangement for the differential Output Shafts is perfect for setting the bearings up in pre-load, in that a spacer is used between the two opposing bearings. Good lubrication is available via the differential oil and Jaguar moved to a pre-loaded bearing set up for the Output Shafts on latter cars.

Regards,

Bill

Again, my thanks to everyone who has responded. I will set the bearings with a slight amount of preload and call it good. I’ve ordered new bearings/shims and a new nut for the input shaft as it ‘galled’ a bit when I removed it.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like