3.8 vs 4.2 oil sump

Can someone inform me of the date they switched from the smooth side 3.8 oil sump to the later sump with the ribs on the side? Were all 3.8 engines smooth sided sumps? I know the 4.2’s had a grooved seal area added to that sump. I do not see any part number in the 3.8 part manual for any later sump…but my 3.8 OTS has a ribbed sump-not original engine but it is a 3.8.

My January 1964 FHC had the ribbed sump. Where is this grooved seal area you mention? I have not been aware of it.

Jerry

My 1963 3.8 sump is ribbed too. Could be a very early change.

Nothing in my two resto books-haddock and porter mentions any sump change until mid 4.2. Wonder why they thought those small ribs made any difference- maybe for strength certainly negligible for heat dissipation.

I have an extra late 4.2 sump and it has a recessed “groove” at the rear seal area. I guess 3.8 sump did not have this seal area…but I have a ribbed sump on my 3.8 but I cannot find any change from a smooth sided sump to a ribbed one in the 3.8 change data.

Only the early 3.8s had smooth sumps. I’m not sure but I think the change occurred in 1962.

My car is an October build, 1962. It has a smooth sump which I believe to be the original. Paul

Only mention I see is a change in sump in Apr 1965. Nothing about smooth or ribbed or changing the seal. I think the 65 change was the seal groove change on 4.2 engine. Does anyone know if the early smooth type is same as a late xk150s? Using up earlier stock? Complaints about overheating?

Yes, there is a different oil seal at the back of the engine 3.8L, surprice for me. I bought a 3.8 engine and the later rib sump but they different. I have also a 3.4L from an XJ and the sump is perfect for it. So I only have to change this seal from the XJ, this should be the fix.
Frank.

Photo showing the two types of rear oil seal housing machined for the rope seal.
The grooved type housing (shown left) is also used on the earlier engines,
but without the rope seal. Be aware that the earlier crank has a coarser
return scroll than the later crank so a rope seal conversion is not advised,
a lip seal conversion being preferred.
Peter B

Edit! The point of this post is to show the correct housing (left) for the
early E type sump.

My February 63 coupe has a ribbed sump.
Frank

My R-3446-9 has a smooth sump, brass drainplug and had (changed to 4.2 pump) an Aluminum water pump pulley. An engine I sourced many (30?) years ago for my '64 FHC. I thought it might have even been from a ‘flat floor’ car, but I don’t think so now.

Thanks for info Peter.

Yes, I have both of them, but the left/early seal had a rope inside,when I dismantle it early this week, can I machined only the outside of this seal housing to fit in the later rib sump? I wonder.
Frank.

Frank, yes you can, but as you have both types, why?
Peter B.

Hi Peter, because one of the engine’s is an XJ 3.4L, this car I have sold some years ago, I put in an other engine, 4.2L, because the 3.4L was broken(valve and piston) and I want to finish it first, before I restore the other one 3.8L fore the e type. Use the money fore restoration and have some more space in the garage.
Frank.