3.8l rear oil seal or not

I agree. Someone was expressing skepticism of this being another “aftermarket” part.

There’s no way this seal was conceived, engineered, and tooled up for with the ambition of selling one or two dozen a year.

This thing MUST be mass produced, and sold in large numbers for some other application.

Have a look here…11458 stretch seal…GST raceing seals have them…as the pictures change you will see the Rob Beere seal http://www.gstracing.co.uk/latestnews.html

2 Likes

Is the v12 seal the same one that is used on the 6 cylinder engine? It appears to be from the installation instructions but I could find no actual confirmation.

Thanks Craig I can’t seem to find this on his website. The only thing that comes up is the seal that fits around the flange.

Again, I’d want to know the extent of service history in automotive application before becoming a guinea pig.

That is true but to me the concept seems much more likely to be a success than an aftermarket seal you cut and glue back together once it is in place or a two piece rope seal that requires expert fitting and preferably a special tool. Hopefully in the next few years we will hear some results from early adopters.

I’m putting this seal in my engine,will be a while until it’s back on the road,will report back,after paint,etc,etc.
I too am sure it’s available for other applications and likely for less cost,however I’m a big believer in supporting those that support us.RBR have taken the time to test it for this application and freely give great advice and excellent service,I’m happy to pay a premium for that.

This seal is not on RBR website,they do have it though.

Just to throw this in…i have read that stretch seals are used on some light aircraft…do we have any aviators here that have experiance with them…Steve

Might have been my comments. It isn’t the seal itself that gives me pause - I agree with your thinking on the probable common use of this part. The machine work needed may be everyday work for skilled operators with good equipment, but how many skilled crank grinders are there in your little town? Between the St. James Bible and “The Bard” all wisdom flows: “Many a slip between cup and lip”.